Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Also, I think it was Martinus' biggest contribution on this forum when he mentioned, these people may be just upset because political correctness has destroyed their standing in society.

This might be oversimplifying but not by much, and more and more I feel it to be true. I mean, think about it. In places like the South, no matter what a shitty poor life you led, if you were white, you were by default above every black people. You had a non-zero status on the ladder of society, simply on the merit of somebody else occupying the zero position.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2017, 10:12:19 AM
Well it is why I asked the question.

The 'safe space' thing seems to be almost universally mocked and derided and seems limited to radical college students.

I look around the internet and the media and I see many discussions taking place without regard for what the tolerance mafia have to say.

But I live in Texas so the stupidity of the left sometimes seems like a distant thing to me. I imagine if I lived in Berkeley I would feel a bit differently.

Back in the late 90s in Hungary, you had to admit that the leftist intelligentsia, their circles and their influence, I mean, had a decisive influence on political discussions and public life, I mean, a disproportionate one.

This of course became one of the calling words of the right, long after there was clear parity.

One of the things the right had trouble with, was that these leftists labelled everyone who disagreed with their social-liberal views fascists/nazis. And I did myself feel the left was overdoing it.
The complaints from the right drew many similarities with the "omg safe space culture is suffocating us" lines.

Then the old left's media influence shrunk to nonexistent after 2010, now the right reigns supreme. And guess what? The media is full of loud racist, intolerant crap.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2017, 10:04:39 AM
Dismissing all of this as "people want to be racists" is what got Donald Trump elected.

This just in: racism got Donald Trump elected.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on January 12, 2017, 10:17:49 AM

The 'safe space' thing seems to be almost universally mocked and derided and seems limited to radical college students.

I look around the internet and the media and I see many discussions taking place without regard for what the tolerance mafia have to say.

But I live in Texas so the stupidity of the left sometimes seems like a distant thing to me. I imagine if I lived in Berkeley I would feel a bit differently.

Back in the late 90s, you had to admit that the leftist intelligentsia, their circles and their influence, I mean, had a decisive influence on political discussions and public life, I mean, a disproportionate one.

This of course became one of the calling words of the right, long after there was clear parity.

One of the things the right had trouble with, was that these leftists labelled everyone who disagreed with their social-liberal views fascists/nazis. And I did myself feel the left was overdoing it.
The complaints from the right drew many similarities with the "omg safe space culture is suffocating us" lines.

Then the old left's media influence shrunk to nonexistent after 2010, now the right reigns supreme. And guess what? The media is full of loud racist, intolerant crap.

They did? I don't really recall that being the case in the US.

I'd say really that the fig leaf that's being used of crazy political correctness is just that. At least in the US, it has never been that extreme and pointing to what happens in colleges in the US is just disingenuous. Universities do strange things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Sorry I wanted to put "in Hungary" in there. This was an example from Hungary :P

garbon

I mean it was definitely so in SF when I lived there but then, it was pretty easy to choose not to live in SF. I'm not sure why someone in say, Alabama, would care all that much about what liberal stuff was happening locally in SF.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2017, 10:04:39 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 12, 2017, 09:48:19 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2017, 09:42:47 AMWhat does taking a wrecking ball to political correctness even mean?

It mostly means people want to call gays fags, blacks niggers, and Jews kikes without a care in the world, I presume.

No, that isn't what it means at all, actually.

It means we should stop creating "safe spaces" in schools which amount to denying free speech in the interest of avoiding hurting anyones feelings.

It means we should stop demanding that people only talk about things that the tolerance mafia has deemed acceptable.

Now, of course it is the case that those who do want to use racial slurs are going to march into the opening that the dumbfuck left has left open for them by insisting on all this stupidly over the top political correctness, and leverage it, which does kind of suck. But that is 100% predictable, so at least some of the fault for it lies with the left for allowing it to happen, and then acting surprised when the dumbasses on the other side take advantage of it.

Dismissing all of this as "people want to be racists" is what got Donald Trump elected.

Except people of have been complaining about political correctness for decades.  Long before "safe spaces".

When political correctness comes up I think it's important to see what the Right considers politically incorrect.

upload picture

photo uploading websites

image hosting gif

greenshot
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Yeah I remember those amazing strawmen beating books.

Though they had pretty different covers. Sad to think they had many reprintings.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

I saw that civil war book at the Colonial Williamsburg gift shop. I almost bought it  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

The sunny southern state of Cuba  :bleeding:

Pandering to neocolonialism in the XXIst century...

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on January 12, 2017, 02:40:56 PM

Oh they were planning on annexing all sorts of land for slavery expansion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2017, 02:42:06 PM

That would be before it faded away naturally, right?

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2017, 03:53:45 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2017, 02:42:06 PM

That would be before it faded away naturally, right?

Naturally.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Most of those I can see what truth they're aiming at, except the one about the Bible leading to science.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2017, 03:59:26 PM
Most of those I can see what truth they're aiming at, except the one about the Bible leading to science.

They are grabbing random nuggets of true things to give a false message. A rather common political strategy.

The claim that slavery would have faded away naturally was indeed made by people like Davis, but only AFTER the war was over and slavery ending was a fait accompli. Before the war he was claiming slavery was an amazing pillar of civilization.