Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: frunk on January 05, 2017, 01:44:15 PM
Does this explain all of Facebook.

Costly Signaling

QuoteThis connects to meme propagation in an interesting way. Memes that everyone agree with typically don't spread very far because they don't signal anything about the sender. Nobody is tweeting that "2+2=4." But controversial memes make a statement. They cause people with an opposing view to respond with opposing memes. As CGP Grey beautifully explained, opposing memes synergistically help each other to spread. They also create a cost for the senders in the form of antagonistic pushback from believers in the opposing meme. But from the view of costly signalling, this is good! If you have enemies attacking you for your beliefs, you better demonstrate your belief and commitment by spreading them even more! Both sides get this boost of reliable signalling and are motivated to intensify meme wars.

wtf. does the author not understand memes?

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on January 06, 2017, 11:53:33 AM
wtf. does the author not understand memes?

I'd say he understands it better than you, since he wrote more paragraphs about them than you could write words.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

:hmm: but only like two paras were about memes

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

I find Yi's nicknames to be more comprehensible than any of LaCroix's posts.

LaCroix

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

I think the meter's off on the last line. :nerd:

garbon

Quotemost cutting thing you can say is "who's this clown?" because it implies they're a) a clown & b) not even one of the better-known clowns

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2017, 03:35:59 AM
I think the meter's off on the last line. :nerd:

Not so much the meter as syllabic wonkiness- somewhere along the line, a troche and an iamb got swapped.

TRUMPty DUMPty WANTed a WALL
SWORE (hold a beat) MEXico'd PAY for it ALL
BUT once elECted, reVERsed what he'd SAID
NOW wants to STICK us with THE bill inSTEAD.

It's the unnatural stressing of the word "the" that throws it off, not the actual meter. </even bigger :nerd:>
Experience bij!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V