Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Yes.  Colbert's crowd has not followed him over to network. His ratings suck.

And yeah, she's a spinoff. 

derspiess

He's no longer a spinoff.  The Colbert Report was.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

Does this explain all of Facebook.

Costly Signaling

QuoteThis connects to meme propagation in an interesting way. Memes that everyone agree with typically don't spread very far because they don't signal anything about the sender. Nobody is tweeting that "2+2=4." But controversial memes make a statement. They cause people with an opposing view to respond with opposing memes. As CGP Grey beautifully explained, opposing memes synergistically help each other to spread. They also create a cost for the senders in the form of antagonistic pushback from believers in the opposing meme. But from the view of costly signalling, this is good! If you have enemies attacking you for your beliefs, you better demonstrate your belief and commitment by spreading them even more! Both sides get this boost of reliable signalling and are motivated to intensify meme wars.

Jacob

Quote from: frunk on January 05, 2017, 01:44:15 PM
Does this explain all of Facebook.

It only explains the meme warfare part which isn't all of Facebook.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 05, 2017, 09:26:46 PM
True or pants on fire?

He went to Miami U of Ohio on SSN survivor benefits from the death of his father, who was apparently a rather very successful Wisconsin lawyer, so the benefits were flush enough to pay out-of-state tuition. 

Now, normally I'd give somebody a pass on something like that, what with losing a father, which totally sucks ass, but yeah...after all that, when your idea of welfare cuts are so draconian that even nuns are moved to such a point of disgust that they've got to get on a bus to drive all the way to DC to remind you that that's not how you were raised, you've got a bit of a perception problem.

People who use a ladder only to pull it up after themselves as fucking assholes.

FunkMonk

Supposedly the Speaker of the House, Paul D. Ryan, after coming to DC and meeting all the homeless people (which is quite frankly half the city), has come round and is more open the disadvantaged poor.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

I didn't know he went to Miami of Ohio. What a dick.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Apparently Wisconsin wasn't posh enough.

FunkMonk

CountDeMoney

He already has.  Ryan's a fucking pussy.  Race Bannon's already beaten the shit out of him.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

FunkMonk

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 05, 2017, 11:09:53 PM
Supposedly the Speaker of the House, Paul D. Ryan, after coming to DC and meeting all the homeless people (which is quite frankly half the city), has come round and is more open the disadvantaged poor.

:lol:  That's a good one.  When I retell it, though, I will probably cast it as "Paul Ryan walks into a bar" joke, because only nerds use the 'walks into DC" version of the gag.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017