And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

The Brain

Every summer I dismantle a little bit of my whiteness, but it reasserts itself. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on December 03, 2016, 08:47:47 PM
Goddamn allies

Interesting thing about Standing Rock, The Sioux there drove out the people living there in early 19th century with the help of the US government.  The area that the pipeline is being built on was never held by the Sioux.  It was held by the Arikara, a Pawnee people who the Sioux waged genocidal war against.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Grinning_Colossus

That's an interesting bit of trivia, but the modern Sioux can hardly be held responsible for the genocidal actions of their ancestors. The past is past, and all the matters is the future. :)
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

garbon

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on December 04, 2016, 10:03:54 AM
That's an interesting bit of trivia, but the modern Sioux can hardly be held responsible for the genocidal actions of their ancestors. The past is past, and all the matters is the future. :)

Only white people can be judged by their ancestors crimes. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on December 03, 2016, 11:01:30 PM
I don't doubt it, but I am simply pointing out that its not like this is about Native American lands at all for most of these people.

They are a convenient tool. If the pipeline ran somewhere else, they would find some other reason to oppose it, or some other Indians to claim it is stepping on them.

I am skeptical of the entire thing, to be honest. The claims of the Native Americans seem pretty thin. They want to protect their water? Huh? There is zero evidence that the pipeline has some kind of risk to water supplies - there are several OTHER pipelines that already run under the Missouri River for example.

I do think the company did the typical corporate token respect for the laws around consultation, and tried to just slide this through without really talking to the people involved, and greasing the political wheels. So I don't actually have much sympathy for them anyway.

But I find the bulk of the  opposition to it to be basically dishonest. Their real position is just luddite - no oil! Don't build any pipeline, that way the oil won't get pumped because OIL IS BAD! It's silly. A pipeline is much safer than the alternatives.

The Sioux leadership is absolutely Luddite.  Their leader's stated goal here is to prevent this and any other pipelines, under any conditions, as part of their "Leave it in the Ground" campaign regarding oil and gas.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2016, 11:52:58 AM
The Sioux leadership is absolutely Luddite.  Their leader's stated goal here is to prevent this and any other pipelines, under any conditions, as part of their "Leave it in the Ground" campaign regarding oil and gas.

Supporting dependence on foreign oil?  How un-American of the Sioux.  :mad:

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2016, 12:05:49 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2016, 11:52:58 AM

Supporting dependence on foreign oil?  How un-American of the Sioux.  :mad:

All I want to say is..... Oil pipelines are theworkofthedevil cool, I cycled past/along one today, you'd never know it was there.

I think the one time I had a conversation with a local about it, they thought there might be a water pipeline there. Even the few bits of infrastructure associated with it, like interceptor pits, are very innocuous, a small concrete pit 15x6x10ft surround by a chain-link fence, dog walkers pass all the time, never giving them a thought.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

LaCroix

yeah, the protestors don't have a legitimate argument, except for their broad anger toward anything oil/perceivedly unfair towards the natives. but they've been mostly fine and non-violent. they've been protesting where I work a few times, and they seem like good folk. the locals' reaction and distrust/hate for them is standard rural people disliking foreigners, focusing on some isolated incidences of vandalism. will be interesting to see how many stay and for how long.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on December 04, 2016, 01:24:56 PM
yeah, the protestors don't have a legitimate argument, except for their broad anger toward anything oil/perceivedly unfair towards the natives. but they've been mostly fine and non-violent. they've been protesting where I work a few times, and they seem like good folk. the locals' reaction and distrust/hate for them is standard rural people disliking foreigners, focusing on some isolated incidences of vandalism. will be interesting to see how many stay and for how long.

Well the pipeline is now going to be rerouted.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.