And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on November 22, 2016, 02:47:07 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 22, 2016, 08:36:30 AM
You sound exactly like the leftists on my Facebook. I guess pointing out that this was the case when the US was at war with the Nazis and Nazis were committing genocide, as opposed to the situation where you are calling "Nazi" a fellow citizen who voted for a candidate you dislike and who so far has not done - nor promise to do - anything Nazi-like, fell on deaf ears there so I do not suppose it would go through to your dumb skull.

You sound exactly like the Trump apologists on my Facebook.  Trump argues that he will bring back torture :"even if it doesn't work," you say "not Nazi-like enough to repel me." Trump argues that he will force a religious group to register themselves and promises to band them from entering the country, you say "not Nazi-like enough to repel me."  Trump promises to kill the families of those he suspects to be terrorists, you say "not Nazi-like enough to repel me."

Nothing seems to be Nazi-like enough to repel you except overt Naziism.  And you wonder why no one here seems to be able to distinguish you from the rest of the alt-right.

Fair.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

You sound exactly like the Trump apologists on my Facebook.  Trump argues that he will bring back torture :"even if it doesn't work," you say "not Nazi-like enough to repel me." Trump argues that he will force a religious group to register themselves and promises to band them from entering the country, you say "not Nazi-like enough to repel me."  Trump promises to kill the families of those he suspects to be terrorists, you say "not Nazi-like enough to repel me."

Nothing seems to be Nazi-like enough to repel you except overt Naziism.  And you wonder why no one here seems to be able to distinguish you from the rest of the alt-right.

How are those things uniquely Nazi?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on November 22, 2016, 12:56:52 PM
Thanks to my recent participation in a certain "fraternal" organisation I actually met (both face-to-face and via Facebook) people with views ranging from very SJW-y to very libertarian right (more right than derspiess or Otto) and who sympathise with certain aspects of "alt right" but with whom I managed to keep civil discourse and whom I respect despite having very different views on some things than I. I think it is useful to talk to people you disagree with. Otherwise it's just an echo chamber.
Some of my best friends are ...

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 22, 2016, 03:30:11 PM

Wait to be compared to something that thing has to be something that only has you in common with it? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

What grumbler describes sounds like Communism as much as Nazism.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on November 22, 2016, 04:12:37 PM

Oh well than that's a relief.  For a second there I thought there was something to worry about.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 22, 2016, 04:14:22 PM

Oh well than that's a relief.  For a second there I thought there was something to worry about.

:yes: As long as you don't wear glasses or speak a second language you'll be fine.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on November 22, 2016, 04:15:20 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 22, 2016, 04:14:22 PM

:yes: As long as you don't wear glasses or speak a second language you'll be fine.

Phew!

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on November 22, 2016, 12:49:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2016, 12:47:29 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 22, 2016, 09:34:05 AM
The "alt right" does that just as the "left" is wearing Che t-shirts and praising Fidel Castro. You are judging the whole group by stupid actions of a fringe.

The "alt right" is the fringe.  There are no moderates, just like there are no moderate Hezbollah.  As it happens the guy giving the Nazi salute was Spencer one of the founders.

How many "alt right" people do you know personally?

Didn't care for being chased with a bat and called "kike".  If there are those in the Alt-Right who are Nazis and those who just trolls, is there any real material difference in how they should be treated?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Trolls are just Nazis who are not yet comfortable being completely open about what they believe in.

viper37

The Nazis really disliked the gays.  Gays were killed, beaten, tortured or experimented upon to see if they could become heterosexual.

So long as Trump does not target the gays like that, he will never be nazi like enough for Marty.  I mean, it's clear he's not a facist, he did respect the electoral vote after all...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on November 22, 2016, 03:30:11 PM

not uniquely nazi.  Not even uniquely authoritarian since democracies did some of these things in the past.
However, if we judge by 21st century standards, you know, like today's standards, doing that kind of thing is clearly a sign of authoritarism, usually described as facism when it is centered on one individual, or a very small group of individuals.  That would fit with what we are seeing now.  Nearly everyone seems opposed to many of Trump's actions regarding torture or assassination, yet he and his close followers intend to go through with it.

Since he is going to name judges who favor his ideas as he gets to name replacements, and since the Republican Congress is too scared to oppose him, it is a form of facism.  Calling it nazism may shock some people, because we have yet to see concentration camps and millions of dead people, and even I doubt it will go that far, but usually, we do not define a regime by its effects, but by its nature.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Incidentally, here's a good clip illustrating the attitude I am talking about from a recent Bill Maher's show - notice the woman's reaction to what Maher is saying:

https://youtu.be/y3-uNxmNj5o

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Oh those strong dictators and their golden ages!!!!