Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2016, 12:47:29 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 22, 2016, 09:34:05 AM
The "alt right" does that just as the "left" is wearing Che t-shirts and praising Fidel Castro. You are judging the whole group by stupid actions of a fringe.

The "alt right" is the fringe.  There are no moderates, just like there are no moderate Hezbollah.  As it happens the guy giving the Nazi salute was Spencer one of the founders.

How many "alt right" people do you know personally?

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 22, 2016, 10:10:43 AM
It's trying to manipulate someone into questioning their own memory or perception of what is going on.

Does it really work?  Do you need Jedi mind powers or something to pull it off?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 22, 2016, 12:49:42 PM
The "alt right" does that just as the "left" is wearing Che t-shirts and praising Fidel Castro. You are judging the whole group by stupid actions of a fringe.

The "alt right" is the fringe.  There are no moderates, just like there are no moderate Hezbollah.  As it happens the guy giving the Nazi salute was Spencer one of the founders.

Well he does live in Missouri.

But Alt Right people are self declared sworn enemies to Raz and his beliefs so what common ground could they really have?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 22, 2016, 12:50:41 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 22, 2016, 10:10:43 AM
It's trying to manipulate someone into questioning their own memory or perception of what is going on.

Does it really work?  Do you need Jedi mind powers or something to pull it off?

Yeah it does. It is pretty easy actually. My ex used to do it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 22, 2016, 12:51:40 PM

Well he does live in Missouri.

But Alt Right people are self declared sworn enemies to Raz and his beliefs so what common ground could they really have?

Well, I don't know. There are several different platforms on which you can interact with people who have different views - you could go to school together, work together, belong to the same family, go to the same church, participate in the same charity (or even post on the same forum - hur hur).

Thanks to my recent participation in a certain "fraternal" organisation I actually met (both face-to-face and via Facebook) people with views ranging from very SJW-y to very libertarian right (more right than derspiess or Otto) and who sympathise with certain aspects of "alt right" but with whom I managed to keep civil discourse and whom I respect despite having very different views on some things than I. I think it is useful to talk to people you disagree with. Otherwise it's just an echo chamber.

Martinus

Incidentally, one meme/bon mot I have seen used recently is saying that the liberal equivalent of alt-right is the control-left. I hope it holds as it is pretty good. :D

CountDeMoney

Siegy used it first, it's Tainted.  With blood libel.  And wine coolers.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 22, 2016, 12:51:40 PM
what common ground could they really have?
end all trade treaties?  Sanders supporters don't seem to have much problems working with Trump, from what I hear.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on November 22, 2016, 12:28:48 PM
Incidentally, in relation to my discussion about this meme with Indiana Jones, I have just been accused of "gaslighting, which is an abusive behaviour".

Can any of you precious snowflakes explain to me what the fuck this means?

It's from a 1940s era movie, not exactly cutting edge techno-speak.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

I know at least one. Although I haven't met him personally in some time, we still communicate regularly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on November 22, 2016, 01:59:44 PM

I know at least one. Although I haven't met him personally in some time, we still communicate regularly.

:lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on November 22, 2016, 08:36:30 AM
You sound exactly like the leftists on my Facebook. I guess pointing out that this was the case when the US was at war with the Nazis and Nazis were committing genocide, as opposed to the situation where you are calling "Nazi" a fellow citizen who voted for a candidate you dislike and who so far has not done - nor promise to do - anything Nazi-like, fell on deaf ears there so I do not suppose it would go through to your dumb skull.

You sound exactly like the Trump apologists on my Facebook.  Trump argues that he will bring back torture :"even if it doesn't work," you say "not Nazi-like enough to repel me." Trump argues that he will force a religious group to register themselves and promises to band them from entering the country, you say "not Nazi-like enough to repel me."  Trump promises to kill the families of those he suspects to be terrorists, you say "not Nazi-like enough to repel me."

Nothing seems to be Nazi-like enough to repel you except overt Naziism.  And you wonder why no one here seems to be able to distinguish you from the rest of the alt-right.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!