News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2016, 04:58:45 PM
Not even referring to that.  I'm talking about things like anti-war rallies surrounding the Nixon White House.  Occupy Wall Street.  Black Lives Matter.  Widespread protests, marches, strikes...that stuff doesn't move the needle in America. If anything, it antagonizes the Moral Majority.

Compare that to what Europe does. Look at France in 1968.  Last night isn't protesting.  Last night isn't even a sports championship.

You started off with Vietnam and Civil Rights.  Too bad for those guys we're still fighting in Vietnam and blacks can't vote in the Jim Crow south.

Protests work when they represent mainstream opinion (Vietnam) or when they move mainstream opinion (MLK).  Occupy Wall Street was a bunch of self indulgent suburban kids whining about not getting paid hedge fund money straight out of undergrad and whatever other knuckleheaded cause someone could be bothered to make a sign for.  You're upset it didn't move the needle because those were *your* knuckleheaded causes.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2016, 05:45:02 PM
You started off with Vietnam and Civil Rights.  Too bad for those guys we're still fighting in Vietnam and blacks can't vote in the Jim Crow south.

Protests work when they represent mainstream opinion (Vietnam) or when they move mainstream opinion (MLK).  Occupy Wall Street was a bunch of self indulgent suburban kids whining about not getting paid hedge fund money straight out of undergrad and whatever other knuckleheaded cause someone could be bothered to make a sign for. 

Really?  They worked for Vietnam?  The Nattering Nabobs of Negativity that carried that war into Nixon's 2nd term, the protests that decreased the anti-war electoral count in '72?  That mainstream opinion?
MLK? It wasn't MLK that mainstreamed opinions in the Jim Crow South: it was the National Guard, the 82nd Airborne, the US Marshals, the FBI and an army of DOJ lawyers that mainstreamed opinions for them.

QuoteYou're upset it didn't move the needle because those were *your* knuckleheaded causes.

I know you get understandably defensive when it comes to your sweet, nourishing buckets of Wall Street creampies, but I'm pretty sure I was more than vocal about my opposition to Occupy Wall Street.  More of a Bomb Wall Street fan.  Protests are a waste of time.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2016, 04:58:45 PM

Compare that to what Europe does. Look at France in 1968.  Last night isn't protesting.  Last night isn't even a sports championship.

France '68 is a joke that only benefitted the petit-bourgeois students. Industry Workers, then officered by the pro-Moscow Communist party, stopped when told by Moscow to not further weaken the De Gaulle régime, an useful counterpoint in the West. Plus, those students were Maoists and whatever assorted leftists. ;)

The only thing they got a bit faster, in retrospect, was post-modernism (yay!) and sexual liberalisation. On the other hand, it had started with De Gaulle allowing the pill in 1967.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2016, 06:15:37 PM
Really?  They worked for Vietnam?  The Nattering Nabobs of Negativity that carried that war into Nixon's 2nd term, the protests that decreased the anti-war electoral count in '72?  That mainstream opinion?
MLK? It wasn't MLK that mainstreamed opinions in the Jim Crow South: it was the National Guard, the 82nd Airborne, the US Marshals, the FBI and an army of DOJ lawyers that mainstreamed opinions for them.

Really.  Troops were being withdrawn and Vietnamization was underway by 72.

MLK didn't change the minds of southerners; he changed the minds of everyone else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

QuoteSometimes, thinking about translation can help us see past our unexamined assumptions.
In English, we use the verb "to deport" to refer to the act of the state forcing undocumented or otherwise unwanted people out of a country by officially threatening them with violence or imprisonment. In French, the equivalent verb, "déporter," is no longer used because of its close association with the Nazi occupation during World War Two. Back then, it was actually a euphemism: the implicit destination of deportation was the concentration camps. The painful and shameful memory of these events mean that this verb has gone out of use, but the act of deportation remains: today we call it "expulsion" or "reconduite à la frontière," not to mention a whole level of administrative euphemisms like "obligation à quitter le territoire" or "mesure administrative d'éloignement." Americans, who don't have the same experience of history, still use the term "deportation," but they're still talking about the same ugly act. Whatever it's called, it's time we learn to stop doing it.

CountDeMoney

Derweiß can't wait to bag his first darkie under the new Stormfront amendment to the "Stand Over Them While They're on the Ground" law.

You'll still need 5 to make ace, though.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on November 11, 2016, 10:53:22 AM
I doubt I could tolerate actual neo-nazis.  Thankfully I don't know any.

Man, you wouldn't know a Neo-Nazi if one bit you on the ass.  You were surprised to find out that Randy Weaver was a Neo-Nazi.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

He wasn't. He was an anti-government wack job, and apparently had no qualms about associating with neo-nazis, but he himself wasn't one.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 12, 2016, 02:32:31 PM

Yet plenty of other people did loot and burn in that era. Likewise most protesters are not doing that. I wonder what your sisters would have been focusing on back in the 60s?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on November 12, 2016, 04:07:06 PM
He wasn't. He was an anti-government wack job, and apparently had no qualms about associating with neo-nazis, but he himself wasn't one.

Like I said, you wouldn't know one if he bit you on the ass.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.