Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2016, 07:38:13 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 10, 2016, 07:01:36 PM
I like this thread.

I mean, we could sorta see glimpses of where the rightards stood beforehand, but this thread pulled all their shit out in the open.

I guess getting your champion elected as leader of the free world unshackles your tongue. Good for you, guys, good for you.

Lets be clear that our three vocal trumpeters on the board are a swiss, a pole, and an icelander.

Not as good of a joke as the rabbi, a priest and a Muslim walking into a bar.....
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Yeah, as far as jokes go, those three are pretty sad ones.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 10, 2016, 08:28:07 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2016, 07:38:13 PM
Lets be clear that our three vocal trumpeters on the board are a swiss, a pole, and an icelander.

Not as good of a joke as the rabbi, a priest and a Muslim walking into a bar.....

Why not, they're going to fuck the duck too.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 10, 2016, 06:27:28 PM
Words are not violence. The fact that you do not see the difference is emblematic of your failed ideology.

Your victimhood gambit won't work any more. The spell is broken.

Democracy is about exchanging words.  If people deny all accountability for what they say, the system breaks down.  If you claim what people say doesn't matter you are denying the very premise behind democracy. 

Words are not violence but they what either prepares people to cause violence in an organized way or what brings them back from that brink. 

This isn't abstruse postmodernist theory, this is basic stuff; part of code of Western politics and society since the age of Pericles and Cicero.  Very naive position you are advancing here.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Earlier today I referred to Trump as a 21st century Fernando Wood.  Wood, like Trump had a reputation for intemperate behavior, which is reflected in an anecdote that can be found of his wikipedia page:

QuoteIn January 15, 1868, Wood was censured for the use of unparliamentary language. During debate on the floor the House of Representatives, Wood called a piece of legislation "A monstrosity, a measure the most infamous of the many infamous acts of this infamous Congress." An uproar immediately followed this utterance, and Wood was not permitted to continue. This was followed by a motion by Henry L. Dawes to censure Wood, which passed by a vote of 114-39.

It all seems very quaint now, doesn't it?

The last censure for unparliamentary language occurred in 1921, when a House member put into the record a letter (written by someone else) containing the words "damn" and "son of a bitch".  The sponsor of the censure resolution stated that the "there is not a member who will not say that it is the vilest thing he has ever seen in print"

Standards do change, and it is not such a terrible thing that we are more relaxed about the use of language in political setting, but we shouldn't kid ourselves that there isn't something real and valuable that is lost when public discourse is encouraged to follow the race to the very bottom of the gutter.  Conservatives - real conservatives - don't need to have this explained.  But we are in uncharted territory now. And to think there is no cost at all - indeed to celebrate and exult in it as some kind liberation against the oppression of prudes, squares and "social justice warriors" - again, very naive.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Remember when Romney got blasted for the "binders full of women" remark in the debate?  Yeah, well now you got Trump.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2016, 09:53:40 PM
Remember when Romney got blasted for the "binders full of women" remark in the debate?  Yeah, well now you got Trump.

"You didn't want to go lay back and tolerate date rape, so now you're going to deal with gang bang rape-rape.  Hope you're happy, cunt."

Zoupa

Somehow, even when their candidate wins, rightards still manage to say it's the liberals fault. Impressive in a mind boggling kind of way.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zoupa on November 10, 2016, 11:27:50 PM
Somehow, even when their candidate wins, rightards still manage to say it's the liberals fault. Impressive in a mind boggling kind of way.

Even when it's not about the cock, it's all about the cock

Zoupa

Yup.

"We voted for him, made him President, but it's still your fault. You made us do it".

Sad!

Admiral Yi

Are you talking to your imaginary friend again?  WTF is this about?

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2016, 11:49:29 PM

Are you talking to your imaginary friend again?  WTF is this about?

Huh? I'm talking about derspiess blaming Trump's election on liberals. The left criticized Romney on misogyny. Apparently, we should have let that slide since the consequence is Trump being elected.

I don't get it either.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on November 11, 2016, 12:02:05 AM
Huh? I'm talking about derspiess blaming Trump's election on liberals. The left criticized Romney on misogyny. Apparently, we should have let that slide since the consequence is Trump being elected.

I don't get it either.

I don't see you get that from what he wrote.  He was comparing the innocuous comment by Romney with Trump's full bore penis flapping.