News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 10, 2016, 06:18:42 PM
It's funny how garbo, with a rich family, Stanford degree, cushy overseas job and a central London flat, is playing a victim card here.

Actually, I noted in another thread that I mostly should be okay with a Trump presidency. But I have developed the skill of empathy and also don't really feel excited about people who think they are vindicated in trashing minorities. Like Brexit, made the world a little bit less safe and a little bit less comfortable for me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 10, 2016, 06:20:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2016, 06:19:10 PM
But that's what you are. A person with the power and privilege to never have to worry about outcomes a Trump presidency. I'm certainly sure that's a nice existence. Don't really know where that leaves you as an authority to speak on to what is or is not appropriate for those of us who do have to worry.

Oh that's right, because I'm the wrong gender, class and skin color, I can't have an opinion. So sorry, enlightened overlord.

You can certainly have an opinion but you can't dictate mine. Sorry.

Also, I'm not sure how you are going to try to spin that I somehow have more power...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hamilcar

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2016, 06:21:00 PM
It's funny how garbo, with a rich family, Stanford degree, cushy overseas job and a central London flat, is playing a victim card here.

Actually, I noted in another thread that I mostly should be okay with a Trump presidency. But I have developed the skill of empathy and also don't really feel excited about people who think they are vindicated in trashing minorities. Like Brexit, made the world a little bit less safe and a little bit less comfortable for me.

I suspect that much of the reported "violence" is manufactured or exaggerated. A smaller part is real, and driven by retribution. People feel free to respond after years of "you're a fucking white male!".

Of course, I don't condone any violence. That's for assholes.

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 10, 2016, 06:23:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2016, 06:21:00 PM

I suspect that much of the reported "violence" is manufactured or exaggerated. A smaller part is real, and driven by retribution. People feel free to respond after years of "you're a fucking white male!".

Of course, I don't condone any violence. That's for assholes.

Because life was peachy keen for minorities (and I'm including women in that) before we had a presidential candidate and president elect who stirred up racism/xenophobia/misogyny.

Oh and that's cool. You don't condone violence, you just condone people saying terrible things to one another. Awesome.

Hamilcar

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2016, 06:25:19 PM
Oh and that's cool. You don't condone violence, you just condone people saying terrible things to one another. Awesome.

Words are not violence. The fact that you do not see the difference is emblematic of your failed ideology.

Your victimhood gambit won't work any more. The spell is broken.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2016, 06:21:44 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on November 10, 2016, 06:20:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2016, 06:19:10 PM
But that's what you are. A person with the power and privilege to never have to worry about outcomes a Trump presidency. I'm certainly sure that's a nice existence. Don't really know where that leaves you as an authority to speak on to what is or is not appropriate for those of us who do have to worry.

Oh that's right, because I'm the wrong gender, class and skin color, I can't have an opinion. So sorry, enlightened overlord.

You can certainly have an opinion but you can't dictate mine. Sorry.

Also, I'm not sure how you are going to try to spin that I somehow have more power...

He can't dictate your opinion but he can criticise it. At least this used to be the case in that strange alternative world where opinions were still based on facts and not on feelings.

Admiral Yi

A smaller part is real, and driven by retribution. People feel free to respond after years of "you're a fucking white male!".

This is pretty ridiculous.  Like terrorism apologism.

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 10, 2016, 06:27:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2016, 06:25:19 PM

Words are not violence. The fact that you do not see the difference is emblematic of your failed ideology.

Your victimhood gambit won't work any more. The spell is broken.

Ah, I gotcha. Sticks and stones will hurt my bones but words will never hurt me. Damn, I didn't know we were still working off playground wisdom.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2016, 06:25:19 PMOh and that's cool. You don't condone violence, you just condone people saying terrible things to one another. Awesome.

That distinction is the cornerstone of Western civilization. Unfortunately your shrill progressive left buddies have been trying to muddle it beyond recognition.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 10, 2016, 06:31:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2016, 06:25:19 PMOh and that's cool. You don't condone violence, you just condone people saying terrible things to one another. Awesome.

That distinction is the cornerstone of Western civilization. Unfortunately your shrill progressive left buddies have been trying to muddle it beyond recognition.

Sorry, darling, but the cornerstone of Western Civilization isn't treating people poorly.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2016, 06:30:14 PM
A smaller part is real, and driven by retribution. People feel free to respond after years of "you're a fucking white male!".

This is pretty ridiculous.  Like terrorism apologism.

There's a vast chasm between explanation and apologism. You know that.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2016, 06:32:49 PM

Sorry, darling, but the cornerstone of Western Civilization isn't treating people poorly.

Freedom of speech is. That's why your founding fathers made it the first amendment to the constitution. Of course they were also a bunch of white males, so...

LaCroix

the wife of someone I know, who voted for Hillary, is seriously mad at him because he's a white male and thus is part of the system that elected trump :D

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 10, 2016, 06:33:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2016, 06:32:49 PM

Freedom of speech is. That's why your founding fathers made it the first amendment to the constitution. Of course they were also a bunch of white males, so...

Of course, despite your nonsense, we all know I'm not calling for those running around being racist, homophobic and sexist to be put in jail because of their speech or that they should be subjected to violence.

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on November 10, 2016, 06:37:34 PM
the wife of someone I know, who voted for Hillary, is seriously mad at him because he's a white male and thus is part of the system that elected trump :D

Well she is clearly an idiot...though is he the bigger idiot for marrying her? :hmm: