News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2016, 01:48:58 PM
Ah well. You are probably on the winning side here GF and company. Enjoy.
If all these stars move here and take Canadian citizenship, they'll pay taxes here, so it might help Trudeau to cover the deficit without too much pain.
If they keep their US citizenship though, they'll only pay taxes on the income won here while they reside in Canada.  And they'll have to keep paying US Federal taxes on all their income.  Do you know, in these cases, if the foreign tax paid is deduced like the State income tax?  Was it a straight tax deduction or a deductible expense from your taxable income?

Anyway, after seeing that poor Miley crying like this, I'm pretty sure our valliant Prime Minister will fly to the rescue of these poor abandonned souls, trapped behind ennemy lines and offer them a fast way to gain their citizenship.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 09, 2016, 01:19:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 09, 2016, 01:09:40 PM
So have Lena Dunham and Miley Cyrus left the country yet?

I'm sure you would've noticed the weight shift if they did. BAM #FatShameWow

I laughed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 09, 2016, 04:30:13 PM
If all these stars move here and take Canadian citizenship, they'll pay taxes here, so it might help Trudeau to cover the deficit without too much pain.
If they keep their US citizenship though, they'll only pay taxes on the income won here while they reside in Canada.  And they'll have to keep paying US Federal taxes on all their income.  Do you know, in these cases, if the foreign tax paid is deduced like the State income tax?  Was it a straight tax deduction or a deductible expense from your taxable income?

Anyway, after seeing that poor Miley crying like this, I'm pretty sure our valliant Prime Minister will fly to the rescue of these poor abandonned souls, trapped behind ennemy lines and offer them a fast way to gain their citizenship.

Well yeah. You want to give rich people citizenship. Tax paying ones anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I think Miley is trying to cry her way out of this; don't think she'll leave.  Amy Schumer said she was kidding about moving to Spain.  Lena Dunham has fallen off social media.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on November 09, 2016, 12:53:12 PM
Yeah. I am a bit surprised by many people saying that Trump will be somehow disastrous for gay rights. I think nothing will change - at worst his SCOTUS will uphold some law which allows Christian bakers not to bake a wedding cake shaped like a dick - which I am fine with.

Wanted to follow up more on this.  Because the issues are far more serious than this. 

The EEOC has taken the position that federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination (eg on grounds of race, religion, gender) also applies to discrimination based on sexual preference.  The problem is that the courts don't accept this  No federal appeals court has yet to accept that position.  This was very recently addressed by  the 7th circuit court (covering Illinois/Indiana/Wisconsin) and basically they said that while they agree with EEOC they can't do anything about it because they are bound by prior precedent:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=9984328120436860555&hl=en&as_sdt=6&as_vis=1&oi=scholarr

QuoteThe cases as they stand do, however, create a paradoxical legal landscape in which a person can be married on Satur-day and then fired on Monday for just that act. For although federal law now guarantees anyone the right to marry another person of the same gender, Title VII, to the extent it does not reach sexual orientation discrimination, also allows employers to fire that employee for doing so. From an employee's perspective, the right to marriage might not feel like a real right if she can be fired for exercising it. Many citizens would be surprised to learn that under federal law any private employer can summon an employee into his office and state, "You are a hard-working employee and have added much value to my company, but I am firing you because you are gay." And the employee would have no recourse whatsoever—unless she happens to live in a state or locality with an anti-discrimination statute that includes sexual orientation. More than half of the United States, however, do not have such state protections

This is an issue that will ultimately be decided by the Supreme Court.  As of today there are probably 4 solid votes of 8 to fix it.  Maybe Kennedy would be 5, maybe not.  An HRC win would have clinched this.  A Trump win will immediately put this into question once the 9th justice is named and likely out of reach if 1 or 2 more are nominated.   

The old Martinus would have been on the warpath about this.  Can we get that guy back?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

The old Martinus was too single minded. I like the Jaron inspired version better.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 09, 2016, 05:48:28 PM
The old Martinus was too single minded. I like the Jaron inspired version better.

:unsure:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on November 09, 2016, 05:51:35 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 09, 2016, 05:48:28 PM

:unsure:

Gaze too long into the abyss and all that...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on November 09, 2016, 05:07:55 PM

I think Miley is trying to cry her way out of this; don't think she'll leave.  Amy Schumer said she was kidding about moving to Spain.  Lena Dunham has fallen off social media.
I doubt we will see a mass exodus toward Canada.  People will want to keep their American citizenship so they can vote in the next congressional elections.  And as much whining as they make, they would hate Canadian tax rates.  Especially if there's some kind of double taxation on their income.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 09, 2016, 01:46:49 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 09, 2016, 11:52:21 AM
No. This is not good.
Expanding markets and having an alternative to the US with protectionnism on the rise is not good?  You have a strange perception.

I wonder if Trump will ask of video game companies to develop their games in the US or face a 35% tax...  Because that would be good, certainly? ;)

We can have free trade agreement without taking away local soveiringnity & putting in the hands of 15 experts.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 09, 2016, 01:46:49 PM
Expanding markets and having an alternative to the US with protectionnism on the rise is not good?  You have a strange perception.

I wonder if Trump will ask of video game companies to develop their games in the US or face a 35% tax...  Because that would be good, certainly? ;)

Yeah I think Canada is going to feel some pain if their largest trading partner starts putting large tariffs on their goods. But hey at least no abominable arbitration will take place.

My side as lost today because you have this weird thing "term limits".
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall