News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Thanks, Dr. Carson.  :lol: Now I don't have to worry about it. :yeah:

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 09, 2016, 06:42:16 AM

Well, at least now there's a chance of preventing the train to run over the cliff. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on November 09, 2016, 06:43:10 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 09, 2016, 06:42:16 AM

Well, at least now there's a chance of preventing the train to run over the cliff. :P

Hey, who needs adrenal glands anyway, amirite?  I can just kinda wing it. :yeah:

Syt

I'm still hoping that things may not turn out as bad as they look, but my optimism and faith in humanity have taken a huge hit today.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

I know we should not laugh at the feeble-minded, but there are actually people on my Facebook talking, in all seriousness, about suicide watch and offering their support for any suicidal friends triggered by Trump's victory.  :hmm:

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 09, 2016, 08:02:35 AM
I know we should not laugh at the feeble-minded, but there are actually people on my Facebook talking, in all seriousness, about suicide watch and offering their support for any suicidal friends triggered by Trump's victory.  :hmm:

My sister isn't suicidal but I know she's in quite an emotional state feeling like her country has rejected her. She messaged me about being fearful on how she will deal with victorious Trump supporters in Alaska.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2016, 08:07:28 AM

My sister isn't suicidal but I know she's in quite an emotional state feeling like her country has rejected her. She messaged me about being fearful on how she will deal with victorious Trump supporters in Alaska.

No offense to your sister, as this is more of a general remark, but I think it speaks to some fundamental dysfunction within one's psyche if one gets so upset about a political result. The fact is, Trump will not turn the USA into nazi Germany, and even if he is worse than Dubya, the actual tangible effect on anyone's life in the US will not be that great. It is a big country, with a tradition of dissidence, so in the worst case scenario, one can always move to some state or county with people who share your views.

I am not saying one should ignore politics but ultimately it has limited influence on our daily lives. People get emotionally invested in it, because they want their team to win, but I think it is healthier to approach it more stoically.

Martinus

I mean, wtf:

He sounds like it was at least another 911.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 09, 2016, 08:14:22 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2016, 08:07:28 AM

No offense to your sister, as this is more of a general remark, but I think it speaks to some fundamental dysfunction within one's psyche if one gets so upset about a political result. The fact is, Trump will not turn the USA into nazi Germany, and even if he is worse than Dubya, the actual tangible effect on anyone's life in the US will not be that great. It is a big country, with a tradition of dissidence, so in the worst case scenario, one can always move to some state or county with people who share your views.

I am not saying one should ignore politics but ultimately it has limited influence on our daily lives. People get emotionally invested in it, because they want their team to win, but I think it is healthier to approach it more stoically.

Says the wealthy lawyer. Sorry, buddy, but there will actually be real negative consequences of having Republicans running all branches of government.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 09, 2016, 08:38:05 AM
I mean, wtf:

He sounds like it was at least another 911.

He sounds like someone who is upset about forces that want to turn back progress in America...forces that just got handed control of the government. :o

Valmy

Your call for decorum and calm runs a little thin after you spent months doing the LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ shit dude. :lol:

Why don't you just be cool and leave concern for Americans to the Americans eh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2016, 09:05:35 AM
Your call for decorum and calm runs a little thin after you spent months doing the LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ shit dude. :lol:

Why don't you just be cool and leave concern for Americans to the Americans eh?

Many of my American friends (thankfully) take the same attitude I do. AmScip or derspiess for example. But fair enough.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 09, 2016, 09:08:30 AM
Many of my American friends (thankfully) take the same attitude I do. AmScip or derspiess for example. But fair enough.

Well of course Spicey does. His team won.

Scip is hoping this brings a new shiny day of Clinton-free Leftism. Eh I think they will just demonize the next person but we will see.

But geez bro the election is only a few hours old. Give us a bit to let the emotions wear off.

I know this probably means the death of TPP. But right now I just hope NAFTA still exists two years from now. The economy is about to contract and prices are about to rise...unless Trump is a gigantic liar which would be nice but he did promise he was not a politician  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I'm a bit annoyed that I can't even take a fun buzzfeed quiz without facing down a gazillion articles with Trump in the name. Where's my safe space? <_<