And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on November 07, 2016, 02:21:18 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 07, 2016, 02:19:38 PM
Yeah, it's the case of slowly boiling a frog, especially in a democracy. Unless the fascist side is stupid enough to try to do a coup over night, it is very difficult to gauge when it is still too early (and you are hindering a democratically elected government) and when it becomes too late and you get shipped off to Auschwitz. It does not help to have media and Timmays of the world who like to keep people anxious.
It's not that difficult to see for the rest of us. But you were the one who embraced the fascist in this election.

I still don't think he is a fascist. That's the problem. Half of the people of the US support him. I know some of them. Some of them are intelligent, non-fascist people. Dismissing them as fascist supporters is really unhealthy for any future of the US - unless they turn out to be - which we really do not know yet.

That's the problem with your preemptive fascist attitude - if Trump is not really a fascist, you are the one destroying the democratic system.

Valmy

QuoteThat's the problem with your preemptive fascist attitude - if Trump is not really a fascist, you are the one destroying the democratic system.

Yeah only a true enemy of democracy would recommend a second amendment solution.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

The Second Amendment does not give the right to assassinate political candidates.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 07, 2016, 02:36:15 PM
The Second Amendment does not give the right to assassinate political candidates.

Yes...see it was a joke. I was referring to a previous statement made by Trump. Get it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on November 07, 2016, 02:26:45 PM
unless they turn out to be - which we really do not know yet.

That's the problem with your preemptive fascist attitude - if Trump is not really a fascist, you are the one destroying the democratic system.
Understood and I would probably argue the same if I didn't come from the German context that has influenced my political views. The lesson we got from the failure of the Weimar Republic is that you have to act preemptively against the enemies of democracy. You can't adopt a wait and see policy. That said, I would leave it to people who are better qualified to determine whether someone is an enemy of our liberal-democratic order or not. In our cases constitutional court judges.
I know that no such mechanism exists in America as they value freedom of speech higher than just about anything else. I can understand that, but it didn't work for us in the past, so I have come embrace our "militant democracy", which is an anathema to most Americans. Every country has its own traditions, so I hope it works out well for them and their republic is strong enough to not fall victim to fascists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2016, 01:54:54 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 07, 2016, 01:41:18 PM
"the Jews" were divided across many different countries and many different regions, had different social classes and backgrounds, and did not organize themselves as a single body, Protocols notwithstanding.

So I guess his point is that we should knock down national boundaries and encourage ethnic and religious minorities to emphasize their own identities and organize transational militias??

I think the "argument" is that if you know you're going to be hauled off to a death camp you should fight, kicking and screaming, every step of the way.

Problem is I don't know that was necessarily true - Jews knew they were being rounded up, but not their ultimate fate.  And that being the case there's definitely a strong argument to be made for trying to survive and fight another day.

And really would it make a difference?  It's not like this strategy helped the Indians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 07, 2016, 03:25:10 PM
And really would it make a difference?  It's not like this strategy helped the Indians.

Well the largest surviving nation is the Cherokee and they accommodated so yeah.

And come to think of it that was also how the Jews weathered the storm in Europe for so long.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2016, 11:27:33 AM
Christ, Syt...I'm so sorry.

Meh, they're white trash. And I don't think they consider their positions well. "I'm a nurse, and I hate Obamacare. Also, here's a crowdfunding campaign for my knee surgery, because I don't have the $2,000."

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

:lol: why would a nurse care about Obamacare

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2016, 12:22:52 PM
:lol: why would a nurse care about Obamacare

It's more about the (to European eyes) weird situation of working as a nurse in a hospital, but having only minimal medical coverage.
—Stephen Jay Gould