News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Wait I thought the holocaust happened because Hitler took all the guns away???
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on November 07, 2016, 11:39:09 AM

Wow, that's incredibly insulting to the victims of the Holocaust.

It would make some sense if the figure was about 79 million as that was the number of Germans that more or less "followed along" committing the Holocaust.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on November 07, 2016, 01:05:36 PM

It would make some sense if the figure was about 79 million as that was the number of Germans that more or less "followed along" committing the Holocaust.

Maybe it's just channelling the bollocks about FEMA death camps?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Especially since the most of the victims of the Holocaust were in Poland and other eastern countries. So unless we are taking a path that results in us being conquered by a virulently genocidal empire I don't get it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I think the meme is about the Jews who for the most part didn't resist abuse, deportation, and eventually murder.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

"the Jews" were divided across many different countries and many different regions, had different social classes and backgrounds, and did not organize themselves as a single body, Protocols notwithstanding.

So I guess his point is that we should knock down national boundaries and encourage ethnic and religious minorities to emphasize their own identities and organize transational militias??
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on November 07, 2016, 01:32:24 PM

I think the meme is about the Jews who for the most part didn't resist abuse, deportation, and eventually murder.

Yet, they did.  They did in the armies of Poland and France and the armies of the Soviet Union.  The Holocaust was a war-time operation, done primarily against defeated peoples.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

They were facing an overwhelming military enemy though. Even the best-armed "well-regulated militia" wouldn't stand much more of a chance than they did. And they did fight back with the means they had, see Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 07, 2016, 01:41:18 PM
"the Jews" were divided across many different countries and many different regions, had different social classes and backgrounds, and did not organize themselves as a single body, Protocols notwithstanding.

So I guess his point is that we should knock down national boundaries and encourage ethnic and religious minorities to emphasize their own identities and organize transational militias??

I think the "argument" is that if you know you're going to be hauled off to a death camp you should fight, kicking and screaming, every step of the way.

Problem is I don't know that was necessarily true - Jews knew they were being rounded up, but not their ultimate fate.  And that being the case there's definitely a strong argument to be made for trying to survive and fight another day.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Hitler won by six million votes? Is that who he got over?

Malthus

Quote from: Zanza on November 07, 2016, 01:53:38 PM

They were facing an overwhelming military enemy though. Even the best-armed "well-regulated militia" wouldn't stand much more of a chance than they did. And they did fight back with the means they had, see Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.

Yup. Also Jewish partisan bands, etc.

Problem was, ragged groups of civilian survivors living in inaccessible swamps or hiding in Warsaw's sewers and fighting with whatever they could scrounge or steal were not, in the end, really much of a threat to a regular army.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Yeah, it's the case of slowly boiling a frog, especially in a democracy. Unless the fascist side is stupid enough to try to do a coup over night, it is very difficult to gauge when it is still too early (and you are hindering a democratically elected government) and when it becomes too late and you get shipped off to Auschwitz. It does not help to have media and Timmays of the world who like to keep people anxious.

Valmy

Ok but how are we taking the same path? I don't think the Fascist Mexican Army is going to roll over the border and put all Unitarians to death anytime soon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on November 07, 2016, 02:19:38 PM
Yeah, it's the case of slowly boiling a frog, especially in a democracy. Unless the fascist side is stupid enough to try to do a coup over night, it is very difficult to gauge when it is still too early (and you are hindering a democratically elected government) and when it becomes too late and you get shipped off to Auschwitz. It does not help to have media and Timmays of the world who like to keep people anxious.
It's not that difficult to see for the rest of us. But you were the one who embraced the fascist in this election.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 07, 2016, 02:19:38 PM

Well in Nazi Germany's case there was nothing slow about it. Once Hitler was Chancellor it was almost instantaneous.