News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

I own/display native art (I have a great fondness for the art style of the Pacific Northwest tribes) at home...nowadays I am not sure if I am a cultural appropriator or supporting indigenous culture/artists.  :(

Zoupa

Why is it offensive to dress as a Native American? What is the rationale?

Serious question btw.

Tonitrus

Also, HOTT babes in native American costume are even HOTTer.  :blush:

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on October 11, 2016, 01:11:14 PM

Serious question btw.

Combination of offensive costumes (think slutty pocahontas) combined with, as spicey says, cultural appropriation.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 11, 2016, 01:12:32 PM
Also, HOTT babes in native American costume are even HOTTer.  :blush:

You might find this video relevant to your interests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6tnj7IEI0E
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 11, 2016, 01:11:06 PM
I own/display native art (I have a great fondness for the art style of the Pacific Northwest tribes) at home...nowadays I am not sure if I am a cultural appropriator or supporting indigenous culture/artists.  :(

As I understand it, it is just fine to purchase native art if it has been made by first nations artists.

But if you're non-native, you're not supposed to use or be inspired by first nations artistic styles.

Which I think is stupid, but that's the argument.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 11, 2016, 01:08:37 PM
I never thought you were such a connoisseur of the Movement.  :P

Actually, that would be Ed :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zoupa

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 01:16:23 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 11, 2016, 01:11:14 PM

Serious question btw.

Combination of offensive costumes (think slutty pocahontas) combined with, as spicey says, cultural appropriation.

I have trouble understanding cultural appropriation, we don't have a similar word (or even concept I think) in french.

If somebody dressed with a beret and and a baguette under his arm for Halloween is it cultural appropriation and I should be offended?

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on October 11, 2016, 01:26:14 PM

If somebody dressed with a beret and and a baguette under his arm for Halloween is it cultural appropriation and I should be offended?

Yes.

And if a Frenchman dresses up like a cowboy I should be offended.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

I have trouble understanding cultural appropriation, we don't have a similar word (or even concept I think) in french.

Patience, ça arrive.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appropriation_culturelle

Berkut

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 11, 2016, 01:11:06 PM

Yes
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Outrageous.  Do you also not have terms for things like Fat Acceptance and Fat Shaming??

QuoteIf somebody dressed with a beret and and a baguette under his arm for Halloween is it cultural appropriation and I should be offended?

See, now the French are historically colonizers and oppressors, and therefore not an oppressed culture that needs to be protected from such outrages.  So we're allowed to go as far as we want to mock your culture.

Oexmelin

The main difference, which seems to escape these casual conversations, is that French culture, or American culture, is backed by powerful industries, hold a dominant space in politics, and in the market, is promoted by extremely powerful states, and generally speaking, can dictate other terms of engagement about themselves than cheap stereotypes.
Que le grand cric me croque !

derspiess

Speaking of cultural oppression, with the recent launching of the Cincinnati Streetcar Cincinnati Bell Connector, someone dug up this horribly racist song that came out when the city ditched streetcars for buses in the 50s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2hOleaXOr8

Do not laugh.

Sorry Mono :(