And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2016, 02:12:45 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2016, 02:05:20 PM
Sorry folks the entire point of facebook is to post pics of my kids.

:yes:

Should be lots of pics this weekend from Timmy's first hockey try-out!

Hamilcar - if you hurry and friend me, I'll see if I can hit my three strikes by the end of the weekend!

Kids are going to so hate their parents for this.

Can you imagine growing up with a publicly accessible extensive pictural archive of your entire life, made by your parents?

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on September 28, 2016, 02:48:42 AM
My oldest sister posted this on her wall last week or so:

It took me 20 or so seconds to find the Snopes page explaining that this is a border fence between Israel and Egypt, and that no fence like this exists between Mexico and Guatemala, and I posted link and explanation beneath the picture. She replied that she had realized that herself shortly after posting it (I didn't inquire why she didn't remove the post, then).

This morning, her husband posts the exact same picture (linked from the Facebook page "Nation in Distress" - https://www.facebook.com/NationInDistress/?pnref=story). :bleeding:
The GDR also had the right to build an anti-fascist protection wall!  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on September 28, 2016, 02:48:42 AM
It took me 20 or so seconds to find the Snopes page explaining that this is a border fence between Israel and Egypt, and that no fence like this exists between Mexico and Guatemala, and I posted link and explanation beneath the picture. She replied that she had realized that herself shortly after posting it (I didn't inquire why she didn't remove the post, then).

I didn't know the United States didn't have the same right as Mexico to protect its border.  What court ruling was that?

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on September 28, 2016, 04:00:15 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2016, 02:12:45 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2016, 02:05:20 PM
Sorry folks the entire point of facebook is to post pics of my kids.

:yes:

Should be lots of pics this weekend from Timmy's first hockey try-out!

Hamilcar - if you hurry and friend me, I'll see if I can hit my three strikes by the end of the weekend!

Can you imagine growing up with a publicly accessible extensive pictural archive of your entire life, made by your parents?

Someone in Austria recently sued their parents because they refused to take down embarrassing baby pictures.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: HVC on September 28, 2016, 06:46:36 AM
Someone in Austria recently sued their parents because they refused to take down embarrassing baby pictures.

Has this been substantiated?

An Austrian fact checker's site says (status 16th Sep) that the law office quoted in the original article by an Austrian tabloid replied they're not involved in any case like this and that the paper only asked some general questions about the rights of kids vs their parents and online photos.

The paper didn't mention the name of the woman now supposedly suing, and therefore the veracity of the article couldn't be conclusively confirmed or denied.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

You must be great at parties <_<

:P guess it's not a real story then. Won't be surprised if it happens in the future. Facebook is what, 12 years old? The first crop of kids who were born and spent all their lives documented in Facebook are becoming adults soon. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Syt

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure court cases like this will pop up in the not so distant future.

Speaking of great parent-child relationships, my middle sister linked an article over the weekend that stated that it's ok to cut off contact with toxic parents. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on September 28, 2016, 04:00:15 AM

I am a parent. Every asshole with an opinion is sure I am committing child abuse with every innocuous thing I do. Example # 4 billion :P

If he is really all that embarrassed he played Pokemon Go as a kid I will take it down. Of course since most adults were playing it at the time I have my doubts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Well, it seems rather reckless, unresponsible, and abusive to raise children in Texas.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Children are easily embarrassed. It's the reason parents used to keep baby pics in albums, so that they could use it to embarrass kids being showing their dates and friends :D

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on September 28, 2016, 07:11:27 AM
Well, it seems rather reckless, unresponsible, and abusive to raise children in Texas.

They should be grateful they were not raised in Florida.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Liep

Quote from: HVC on September 28, 2016, 07:21:44 AM
Children are easily embarrassed. It's the reason parents used to keep baby pics in albums, so that they could use it to embarrass kids being showing their dates and friends :D

In a way it's better today because now no one actually looks at the pictures. And I'm sure Facebook will soon release a filter that can sort out pictures of babies, memes, or other stuff you usually just scroll past.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2016, 07:23:42 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 28, 2016, 07:11:27 AM

They should be grateful they were not raised in Florida.

"If you don't behave we move to Florida!" :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2016, 07:10:13 AM
If he is really all that embarrassed he played Pokemon Go as a kid I will take it down. Of course since most adults were playing it at the time I have my doubts.

Adults happily wore hammer pants at one time too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2016, 08:25:37 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2016, 07:10:13 AM

Adults happily wore hammer pants at one time too.

Well when I get sentenced to prison for brutal child abuse I will tell the judge that I regret nothing. NOTHING!