News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

I assume the image is some sort of meme, but I don't get it at all.

Valmy

Even the memes I do get I never understand what the hell they have to do with the text.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Wait, George W. Bush was a business man.  So was Hoover.  I don't think Hoover was elected to any office until he ran for the Presidency.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Bush Sr., JC, Truman, plenty of presidents were in business.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2019, 02:59:25 PM

Oh, Yeah.  Forgot that Carter had a peanut farm and Truman was a haberdasher.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2019, 03:01:42 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2019, 02:59:25 PM

Oh, Yeah.  Forgot that Carter had a peanut farm and Truman was a haberdasher.

Haberdasher is such an awesome word.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2019, 03:38:42 PM
It is almost a slur the way it is used. "White dudes" is never used as a positive. It is definitely used to dehumanize and demonize.

That's the point.

White men in the US have, for the entirety of modern history, used terms like "black boy", "white bitch", "sissy boy", etc., to dehumanize POC, LGBTQ, and women. When they've been asked not to do that, they cried FREE SPEECH! and political correctedness going too far. Now, it's being used against them for the first time in a similar slur... and white men don't like it much.

Rough, ain't it?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2019, 03:35:40 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2019, 03:38:42 PM
It is almost a slur the way it is used. "White dudes" is never used as a positive. It is definitely used to dehumanize and demonize.

That's the point.

White men in the US have, for the entirety of modern history, used terms like "black boy", "white bitch", "sissy boy", etc., to dehumanize POC, LGBTQ, and women. When they've been asked not to do that, they cried FREE SPEECH! and political correctedness going too far. Now, it's being used against them for the first time in a similar slur... and white men don't like it much.

Rough, ain't it?

I am sure a great many people have used a great many of slurs over the many eras of history.

I didn't realize that was something we should emulate.

But I see that was the intention, I was not aware that was the intention.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2019, 03:41:44 PM
I am sure a great many people have used a great many of slurs over the many eras of history.

Of course it isn't. But asking white men to stop their crap hasn't worked. Instead, it's created a battle cry for the stubborn majority that Political Correctness is to blame for curbing their tongue. Those evil Liberal Free Speech deniers!

But this? Guys aren't liking it much. They're getting upset. They're feeling the pinch of their very being suddenly being a negative, a slur. Things they have absolutely no control over is being mocked and spat on.. And yeah... it sucks. It's awful. It absolutely shouldn't be happening.

Maybe the guys should have listened when we said stop it.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on August 26, 2019, 05:10:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2019, 03:41:44 PM

Of course it isn't. But asking white men to stop their crap hasn't worked. Instead, it's created a battle cry for the stubborn majority that Political Correctness is to blame for curbing their tongue. Those evil Liberal Free Speech deniers!

But this? Guys aren't liking it much. They're getting upset. They're feeling the pinch of their very being suddenly being a negative, a slur. Things they have absolutely no control over is being mocked and spat on.. And yeah... it sucks. It's awful. It absolutely shouldn't be happening.

It is a constant mystery to me why so many people, left and right, are so certain that the great liberal experiment in encouraging civility has been an abject failure and we should abandon it.

Given that the victims of a naked, uncivil factional struggle are likely to be those with the least power in our society - and we are constantly told (and it makes sense) that white men have the most power - it would seem to be a bad idea to normalize incivility. Unless of course you happen to wish to support the cause of the continued dominance of white men.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

The problem that I have, and that others seem to as well, as that "white men," "they" and "the guys" paints everyone with the same brush.

I would prefer a world in which your beef is with those people that do things that offend you, not with people who belong to the same group as people who offend you.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2019, 06:19:37 PM

The problem that I have, and that others seem to as well, as that "white men," "they" and "the guys" paints everyone with the same brush.

I would prefer a world in which your beef is with those people that do things that offend you, not with people who belong to the same group as people who offend you.

Yeah, me too. Sure would be nice to not have to carry an entire gender on my back.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2019, 06:19:37 PM

How do you address collective imbalances of power? When, say, some people insist that their behavior is perfectly reasonable, and that you are the one manufacturing offense? 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 26, 2019, 06:53:47 PM
How do you address collective imbalances of power? When, say, some people insist that their behavior is perfectly reasonable, and that you are the one manufacturing offense?

How is that an imbalance of power, collective or otherwise?  I would describe that as a difference of opinion.