Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2019, 12:18:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 18, 2019, 11:30:46 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2019, 04:34:56 AM
Oh and Trump when asked had also initially referred to the attack as horrible.

It was pretty horrible, whether true or a hoax.

Disagree. A violent attack is much more horrible than a fictional one.

I didn't say they were both equally horrible.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on February 18, 2019, 12:58:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2019, 12:18:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 18, 2019, 11:30:46 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2019, 04:34:56 AM
Oh and Trump when asked had also initially referred to the attack as horrible.

It was pretty horrible, whether true or a hoax.

Disagree. A violent attack is much more horrible than a fictional one.

I didn't say they were both equally horrible.

We know, but the SJW's  are well, who they are.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

These days it seems to be mostly chicks.

Oexmelin

Because so much of it is under the umbrella of "caring". And back then, women were presumed to be irrational anyway.
Que le grand cric me croque !

HVC

Anti Vaxers are the lefts climate change deniers. A group of people who beleive scientists are there trying to trick you for money or other nefarious reasons. It's such a odd phenomena.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: HVC on February 19, 2019, 12:13:26 AM
Anti Vaxers are the lefts climate change deniers. A group of people who beleive scientists are there trying to trick you for money or other nefarious reasons. It's such a odd phenomena.
It is hardly a unique viewpoint to the Left.  I see large numbers of right wing anti-government types and religious fundamentalists of all strains virulently oppose vaccinating.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

dps

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 19, 2019, 02:38:29 AM
Anti Vaxers are the lefts climate change deniers. A group of people who beleive scientists are there trying to trick you for money or other nefarious reasons. It’s such a odd phenomena.
It is hardly a unique viewpoint to the Left.  I see large numbers of right wing anti-government types and religious fundamentalists of all strains virulently oppose vaccinating.

The religious fundamental who oppose vaccination tend to be of the type who reject many other forms of modern medical care on philosophical grounds--they don't necessarily claim that vaccination doesn't work or causes other health problems.  And the right-wing types who oppose vaccination generally don't oppose vaccination per se or deny it's efficiency, they just oppose it being mandated by the government.  Neither group seems to be much in the "vaccination causes autism" camp--those types are either left-wingers or soccer moms.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 18, 2019, 09:45:16 PM
Because so much of it is under the umbrella of "caring". And back then, women were presumed to be irrational anyway.
presumed?

*whistles and backs off slowly* :shutup:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Yup. Faddish irrationalism transcends the left-right divide.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2019, 09:12:19 AM

Yup. Faddish irrationalism transcends the left-right divide.

Indeed it does!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Sadly, not the only ones on the left.

Quote from: dps on February 19, 2019, 06:12:33 AM
The religious fundamental who oppose vaccination tend to be of the type who reject many other forms of modern medical care on philosophical grounds--they don't necessarily claim that vaccination doesn't work or causes other health problems.  And the right-wing types who oppose vaccination generally don't oppose vaccination per se or deny it's efficiency, they just oppose it being mandated by the government.  Neither group seems to be much in the "vaccination causes autism" camp--those types are either left-wingers or soccer moms.

Well I wish you were correct there but you are completely wrong. Plenty of anti-Vaccine nutters on the right. Hell Trump even threw them a bone once during his political campaign.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

It wasn't just once for Trump. I think he was/is legitimately anti-vax because of his son.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on February 19, 2019, 10:41:42 AM
It wasn't just once for Trump. I think he was/is legitimately anti-vax because of his son.

Gotcha, I often give Trump too much credit and assume cynicism when idiocy is the correct answer.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fromtia

Anti Vaxx lunacy is a cross party platform, as everyone else has already pointed out. Trump has certainly flirted with it, I think he was even considering offering an anti vaxxer a position in his administration at one point.

Is Jill Stein an anti-vaxxer? I think so? It may just be a bit of flirting, but really completely contemptible anyway.

It is fascinating to me how conspiracy theories have mutated in my life time from sort of counter-cultural anti-government maybe slightly libertarian to generally hard right wing Alex Jones. Not universally, but generally, if someone tells me about pizza-gate or fake moon landings they often seem to embrace a lot of right wing positions on things.

Anti-Vaxx is all over the place though. All over the stupid.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.