News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on February 17, 2019, 10:12:07 PM
Websites that are owned by the same company. Jezebel, The root, io9, a bunch of other ones I can't remember. It's a weird combination of demographic specific news  sites, commentating community, and self enduced rage echo chamber.

Yeah that is Jonestown wing of the party. They need a steady supply of Koolaid.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

I kind of like reading jezebel in a weird wtf am I reading sort of way.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Someone has mentioned Jezebel.  Isn't it like a man-hater hangout?

HVC

More or less, yeah. They also hate certain women, but it changes randomly.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

garbon

The story was on mainstream sites and some celebs were putting out social media support. Then I think Friday the suspects were released based on new evidence and finally revealed it was likely all a self-financed hoax.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Oh and Trump when asked had also initially referred to the attack as horrible.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2019, 10:06:41 PM
What is the gawkerverse?  I've heard of gawker but am not familiar.  Is it a place where people throw memes at each other?

New York lefty.

It doesn't exist anymore. Peter Thiel killed it.

Nowadays it's the Gizmodo Media Group, it's owned by Univision borned out of Gawker brankruptcy.

I read it everyday. It's a better news source than anything else American.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on February 17, 2019, 07:50:47 PM
So many holes in the story, but many media outlets, activists, Democrat presidential hopefuls fall for the story, because the narrative is just too useful to them.  One would think the outrage mob would have learned from the Cov Cath thing not to jump the gun. Wonder how many more hate hoaxes it will take.

I think more mainstream sites learned something from Covington Catholic.  The celebrity journalists well respected media personalities at CNN, at least, didn't send out a number of tweets expressing their outrage this time.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on February 17, 2019, 09:41:41 PM
Quote from: dps on February 17, 2019, 07:59:55 PM
I'd never heard of the dude before.

I didn't know of him either. I guess the hoax was a partial success.

You can't buy publicity like that.   :)

I wonder if he really thought he wouldn't be caught.  It seems obvious to me that his accomplices would rat him out rather than face jail time; but if he didn't think he'd get away with it what was he trying to accomplish? 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Presumably he thought they wouldn't get caught and it would raise his profile.

HVC

It was weird all around. Who walks around Chicago at 2 am with bleach and a noose, let alone during a -20 polar vortex. This is what happens when you let actors write scripts.

dps

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2019, 08:14:12 AM
Presumably he thought they wouldn't get caught and it would raise his profile.

Yeah, given that he told the police that the alleged attackers were white and the 2 guys the police caught were black, I'm sure he never expected them to get caught.  Assuming that the latest reports are true and it was staged.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2019, 04:34:56 AM

It was pretty horrible, whether true or a hoax.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on February 18, 2019, 11:30:46 AM

Disagree. A violent attack is much more horrible than a fictional one.

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on February 18, 2019, 11:30:46 AM

Agreed
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".