Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Somebody is bringing on the heartbreak.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 29, 2017, 08:48:43 PM
Clearly they were the best hair metal band which is why people don't like to call them one.

You'd also have to rule out Def Leppard to call motley crue the top band.

Wat? 

I am definitely biased, so there is a chance that Motley Crue is not the best in whatever category we are talking about, but to compare them to Def Leppard is laughable no matter what you are talking about.  Unless it is best bands with 1 armed drummers.  I'll give you that.

Def Leppard was a cute band with some very commercially successful stuff but Motley Crue was better in every sense of the word when it comes to '80s hair/metal bands.  If it is about individual songs you would need to count pretty high to get to the first Def Leppard song on the list; every Crue album from Too Fast for Love to Dr. Feelgood was better than anything DL put out; the Crue was (for good or bad) more of everything that scene and era was about.

I never saw Def Leppard live but from what I have heard I would take a Crue show (I've seen then at least 5 times but I am getting old so it may be more) over them without even hesitating.

sbr

Dammit now instead of going to bed I'm stuck listening to Motley Crue's collected works.  :punk:

sbr

And fuck you to who ever disparaged Ratt.  :mad:

viper37

Quote from: sbr on April 30, 2017, 12:59:35 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 29, 2017, 08:48:43 PM
Clearly they were the best hair metal band which is why people don't like to call them one.

You'd also have to rule out Def Leppard to call motley crue the top band.

Wat? 

I am definitely biased, so there is a chance that Motley Crue is not the best in whatever category we are talking about, but to compare them to Def Leppard is laughable no matter what you are talking about.  Unless it is best bands with 1 armed drummers.  I'll give you that.

Def Leppard was a cute band with some very commercially successful stuff but Motley Crue was better in every sense of the word when it comes to '80s hair/metal bands.  If it is about individual songs you would need to count pretty high to get to the first Def Leppard song on the list; every Crue album from Too Fast for Love to Dr. Feelgood was better than anything DL put out; the Crue was (for good or bad) more of everything that scene and era was about.

I never saw Def Leppard live but from what I have heard I would take a Crue show (I've seen then at least 5 times but I am getting old so it may be more) over them without even hesitating.

Def Leppard was pretty good from Pyromania and on, but originality wasn't their strongest point.

Motley Crue was good and managed to differentiate some of their album.

I don't know wich one I'd rate the best.  I've seen Crue in show, Tomy Leed is certainly a showman, but the others were your run of the mill hairband.  Better than Bon Jovi live, much, much worst than Metallica (best band I've seen on show despite Rammstein's technical superiority).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: sbr on April 30, 2017, 01:06:52 AM
And fuck you to who ever disparaged Ratt.  :mad:
chill man :P  Listen to some boring, run of the mill hair metal and relax:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLS_W_2eyzY

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Can we at least agree that GNR was better than every band Duque mentioned?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2017, 03:00:21 PM
Guys I was mostly just amazed something could become popular, suffer push back, and quickly become an inside joke in just a few hours than the stupid facebook game itself :P

I mean geez it took Disco years to do that.

And now we're discussing Mötley Crüe.  Thanks a lot Valmy.   :mad:

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

dps

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 30, 2017, 05:04:30 AM

Yeah, easily, at least at their best.  That's why people are objecting to me classifying them as a hair band--they were just so much better than the other late 80s/early 90s hair bands.  They were what those other bands wanted to be.

Duque de Bragança

Depends if we take into account the current state of Guns 'N Roses.  :P
Despite taking pride in decadence, Mötley Crüe has not degenerated to such a low point yet.  :D

We are are getting into metal semantics but I view Def Leppard, AOR (album-oriented rock) or arena rock describes them better than glam/hair metal. Some glam influences? Sure, it was the '80s after all.
Def Leppard was also seen as part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, famous for Iron Maiden or Judas Priest, so make of that what you will.
Guns 'N Roses? Hard rock, close to heavy metal but not exactly the same. :P

viper37

Def was heavier in their first albums, I think.  But not that good compared to other metal bands.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 30, 2017, 07:14:20 AM

Depends if we take into account the current state of Guns 'N Roses.  :P
Despite taking pride in decadence, Mötley Crüe has not degenerated to such a low point yet.  :D

Were are getting into metal semantics but I view Def Leppard, AOR (album-oriented rock) or arena rock describes them better than glam/hair metal. Some glam influences? Sure, it was the '80s after all.
Def Leppard was also seen as part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, famous for Iron Maiden or Judas Priest, so make of that what you will.
Guns 'N Roses? Hard rock, close to heavy metal but not exactly the same. :P

Yeah, I'd have put them in NWOBM, if only for the timing and they were sort of that at the start. But they did hedge into AOR after a while.

For what it's worth I think Saxon are the true, best embodiment of that movement/genre.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

In 1983, it was Def Leppard's Pyromania that kept hard rock at the top of the MTV rotation, when it was drowning in Michael Jacksonian squalor; they were one of the hard rock bands that intentionally edged itself into MTV.  They weren't showing a whole lot of Dio or Ozzy, you know.

I despised Def Leppard's subsequent bullshit--particularly the album that never ended, Hysteria--but the Pyromania album was great, and perfect for 1983.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on April 30, 2017, 11:07:23 AM

Yeah, I'd have put them in NWOBM, if only for the timing and they were sort of that at the start. But they didn't hedge into AOR after a while.

Exactly, the NWOBHM started before the glam metal era, so by the latter era, they were mostly known for AOR.

For what it's worth I think Saxon are the true, best embodiment of that movement/genre.  :bowler:

A matter of taste, but that's fine by me.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2017, 11:14:51 AM
In 1983, it was Def Leppard's Pyromania that kept hard rock at the top of the MTV rotation, when it was drowning in Michael Jacksonian squalor; they were one of the hard rock bands that intentionally edged itself into MTV.  They weren't showing a whole lot of Dio or Ozzy, you know.

I despised Def Leppard's subsequent bullshit--particularly the album that never ended, Hysteria--but the Pyromania album was great, and perfect for 1983.

Yeah, I wasn't dissing them, that album was great for what is was and as you say it's time. But I think some of the other albums from the era have stood the test of time better.

Incidentally, shouldn't we have some for of poll for bands/videos that appeared on MTV, to mark the passing of that golden era and explain to the younguns here what it was about?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"