News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I don't mind the marine punches the college professor story.

It's the parable of the drowning man.

QuoteA storm descends on a small town, and the downpour soon turns into a flood. As the waters rise, the local preacher kneels in prayer on the church porch, surrounded by water. By and by, one of the townsfolk comes up the street in a canoe.

"Better get in, Preacher. The waters are rising fast."

"No," says the preacher. "I have faith in the Lord. He will save me."

Still the waters rise. Now the preacher is up on the balcony, wringing his hands in supplication, when another guy zips up in a motorboat.

"Come on, Preacher. We need to get you out of here. The levee's gonna break any minute."

Once again, the preacher is unmoved. "I shall remain. The Lord will see me through."

After a while the levee breaks, and the flood rushes over the church until only the steeple remains above water. The preacher is up there, clinging to the cross, when a helicopter descends out of the clouds, and a state trooper calls down to him through a megaphone.

"Grab the ladder, Preacher. This is your last chance."

Once again, the preacher insists the Lord will deliver him.

And, predictably, he drowns.

A pious man, the preacher goes to heaven. After a while he gets an interview with God, and he asks the Almighty, "Lord, I had unwavering faith in you. Why didn't you deliver me from that flood?"

God shakes his head. "What did you want from me? I sent you two boats and a helicopter."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_drowning_man

It's kind of meant as a joke, but has some truth to it as well.  God works in mysterious ways.  Why would God need to smote the professor from the heavens when there's a Marine sitting right there?

The meme could have been a little less vulgar, and the reference to "God being busy protecting his buddies" takes away from the overall message, but otherwise it's fine.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 06, 2024, 12:12:31 PMI don't mind the marine punches the college professor story.

QuoteA storm descends on a small town, and the downpour soon turns into a flood. As the waters rise, the local preacher kneels in prayer on the church porch, surrounded by water. By and by, one of the townsfolk comes up the street in a canoe.

Still the waters rise. Now the preacher is up on the balcony, wringing his hands in supplication, when another guy zips up in a motorboat.

"Come on, Preacher. We need to get you out of here. The levee's gonna break any minute."

Once again, the preacher is unmoved. "I shall remain. The Lord will see me through."

After a while the levee breaks, and the flood rushes over the church until only the steeple remains above water. The preacher is up there, clinging to the cross, when a helicopter descends out of the clouds, and a state trooper calls down to him through a megaphone.

A pious man, the preacher goes to heaven. After a while he gets an interview with God, and he asks the Almighty, "Lord, I had unwavering faith in you. Why didn't you deliver me from that flood?"

God shakes his head. "What did you want from me? I sent you two boats and a helicopter."

It's kind of meant as a joke, but has some truth to it as well.  God works in mysterious ways.  Why would God need to smote the professor from the heavens when there's a Marine sitting right there?

The meme could have been a little less vulgar, and the reference to "God being busy protecting his buddies" takes away from the overall message, but otherwise it's fine.

But in story of marine, it is the marine saying how God works. Cuts against idea of him working in mysterious ways if the marine knows exactly what God is doing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 06, 2024, 12:12:31 PMThe meme could have been a little less vulgar, and the reference to "God being busy protecting his buddies" takes away from the overall message, but otherwise it's fine.
It gives the impression of a vengeful God, the God of the Old Testament.  The one the Protestants like, actually.

Not surprising, given where it comes from.  It's the God that destroys Sodom and Gomorra, the God that destroys the Earth with a flood.  Not the God that sacrifices his only begotten son on a cross to expiate our sins.

It's kind of a weird message.  Worship me or I'll strike you down.  Worship me or I'll kill you.  Worship me, or the Inquisitors will come for you.  Worship me, or you'll suffer unimaginable pains inflicted by my followers and I'll not only unleash them on upon you, but I'll rejoice on what they do onto you.

And here I thought I should bask in Jesus love 'cause he was supposed to love me unconditionally.

I guess he's just as bad as Satan, after all?  At least, he's honest about it.  He'll torture me with heavy metal, have me committed to engage into sexual relationships before marriage with anyone I want and make me drink before the age of 21.  Or 19, since I'm Canadian.  Sounds terrible.  ;)

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

And lo Jesus said punch him in the cheek. And if that doesn't work, kick him in the shins.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on March 06, 2024, 12:23:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 06, 2024, 12:12:31 PMI don't mind the marine punches the college professor story.

But in story of marine, it is the marine saying how God works. Cuts against idea of him working in mysterious ways if the marine knows exactly what God is doing.

Like I said - I would have worded it a little differently, but you do need someone to say the message of the story.  And since the professor doesn't die and meet God, the marine is the next option.  But yeah I think I would have had him say "well maybe God sent me to your class today".

PDH

My problem is the glorification a vigilante vengeance, the hubris of "understanding what God wants" in this.  The preacher in the joke is willful and stubborn, the Marine is shown as believing they are the hand of God.  Perhaps this is just me, but that is my take. (and Garbon's I think)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on March 06, 2024, 12:28:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 06, 2024, 12:12:31 PMThe meme could have been a little less vulgar, and the reference to "God being busy protecting his buddies" takes away from the overall message, but otherwise it's fine.
It gives the impression of a vengeful God, the God of the Old Testament.  The one the Protestants like, actually.

Not surprising, given where it comes from.  It's the God that destroys Sodom and Gomorra, the God that destroys the Earth with a flood.  Not the God that sacrifices his only begotten son on a cross to expiate our sins.

It's kind of a weird message.  Worship me or I'll strike you down.  Worship me or I'll kill you.  Worship me, or the Inquisitors will come for you.  Worship me, or you'll suffer unimaginable pains inflicted by my followers and I'll not only unleash them on upon you, but I'll rejoice on what they do onto you.

And here I thought I should bask in Jesus love 'cause he was supposed to love me unconditionally.

I guess he's just as bad as Satan, after all?  At least, he's honest about it.  He'll torture me with heavy metal, have me committed to engage into sexual relationships before marriage with anyone I want and make me drink before the age of 21.  Or 19, since I'm Canadian.  Sounds terrible.  ;)

Well - the professor is the one doing some stupid stunt to try and prove God doesn't exist.  A proof that doesn't stand up to the slightest scrutiny.

But then you have the marine making the point more forcefully.  Whether or not he was sent by God was immaterial - the professor still got knocked off the chair.

Now - it's just a silly meme.  It's just not one I'm offended by.

Darth Wagtaros

The Prof would probably get a ration of shit from the administration for touching the religion thing. 
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 06, 2024, 12:34:53 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 06, 2024, 12:28:21 PM

Well - the professor is the one doing some stupid stunt to try and prove God doesn't exist.  A proof that doesn't stand up to the slightest scrutiny.

But then you have the marine making the point more forcefully.  Whether or not he was sent by God was immaterial - the professor still got knocked off the chair.

Now - it's just a silly meme.  It's just not one I'm offended by.
It's more than a silly meme, imho.  Oex made the point rightly: the moral of the story is that you should punch college professors when they say things you disagree with.  Eg, you should punch anyone you disagree with.

It's a recurring theme with the far left too, mind you.

But since The Orange Clown got the White House, the Right has decomplexified itself about this kind of violence.

This is how you lead people to assault a Congress or a Parliament, step-by-step.  God is irrelevant here, I was just pulling your leg. No offense meant about the religion, I know you're not Evangelical anyway.  :)

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Presumably if the Professor said "If God exists, cure my cancer" the Marine would have done that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on March 06, 2024, 12:40:44 PMThis is how you lead people to assault a Congress or a Parliament, step-by-step.  God is irrelevant here, I was just pulling your leg. No offense meant about the religion, I know you're not Evangelical anyway.  :)

So me and my family got out of the habit of going to Church when the boys got bigger and we're busy every Sunday morning.

But the last church I went to was an evangelical church.

But then again - there are different flavours of evangelicalism.  Heck many/most black churches in the US are evangelical.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on March 06, 2024, 12:40:44 PMIt's more than a silly meme, imho.  Oex made the point rightly: the moral of the story is that you should punch college professors when they say things you disagree with.  Eg, you should punch anyone you disagree with.

The college professor literally asked to be knocked out of his chair.  That's what makes it different from "punching people you disagree with".

As long as the professor wasn't injured, the marine would likely be found to have participated in a consent fight under Canadian law and not charged with assault.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on March 06, 2024, 12:54:43 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 06, 2024, 12:40:44 PMIt's more than a silly meme, imho.  Oex made the point rightly: the moral of the story is that you should punch college professors when they say things you disagree with.  Eg, you should punch anyone you disagree with.

The college professor literally asked to be knocked out of his chair.  That's what makes it different from "punching people you disagree with".

As long as the professor wasn't injured, the marine would likely be found to have participated in a consent fight under Canadian law and not charged with assault.
He didn't ask the marine to knock him out, he asked God.  Wouldn't the marine have to provide evidence that God delegated the punching to him, and also that the professor was okay with the substitution?  If I ask you to punch me, it doesn't mean that I'm okay with you hiring Mike Tyson to punch me for you.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on March 06, 2024, 12:58:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 06, 2024, 12:54:43 PM

He didn't ask the marine to knock him out, he asked God.  Wouldn't the marine have to provide evidence that God delegated the punching to him, and also that the professor was okay with the substitution?  If I ask you to punch me, it doesn't mean that I'm okay with you hiring Mike Tyson to punch me for you.

And that's where the marine points to the parable of the drowning man.  If you're asking God to do something that's a pretty wide-open request...

Now, in my 30 second legal analysis, I missed that in the meme the marine punches the prof so hard he knocks him out.  That maybe/probably would cause an injury, which would then change the analysis (R v Jobidon - you can't consent to bodily harm).

Again, if I were going to re-write the story I wouldn't have the prof being knocked unconscious.

garbon

Quote from: PDH on March 06, 2024, 12:32:12 PMMy problem is the glorification a vigilante vengeance, the hubris of "understanding what God wants" in this.  The preacher in the joke is willful and stubborn, the Marine is shown as believing they are the hand of God.  Perhaps this is just me, but that is my take. (and Garbon's I think)
Yep same thoughts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.