Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2016, 11:54:23 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2016, 11:50:45 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2016, 11:35:25 PM
Texas dies a little everytime some asshole in Ohio puts beans in their chili.

Which actually is something I prefer not to get out.

I put beans in my chili every single time.  I had a revelation a few years ago when I started putting not just red kidney beans, but black beans in my chili - it was so good. :mmm:

Another traditional food destroyed and my culture slowly being chipped away. WTF Alberta? I thought you were the Texas of Canada :weep:

I know you are joking, but one thing that these "culture appropriation" morons fail to understand is that culture is not static and does not develop in a vacuum. It did not just emerge as a Platonic form, ex nihilo - it is a product of centuries of changes, influences, experimenting and cross-polinating with other cultures. Shakespeare, Mozart and Picasso were all "cultural appropriators". Without it you have no development of any kind.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2016, 02:11:47 AM

I put beans in my chili every single time.  I had a revelation a few years ago when I started putting not just red kidney beans, but black beans in my chili - it was so good. :mmm:

Another traditional food destroyed and my culture slowly being chipped away. WTF Alberta? I thought you were the Texas of Canada :weep:

I know you are joking, but one thing that these "culture appropriation" morons fail to understand is that culture is not static and does not develop in a vacuum. It did not just emerge as a Platonic form, ex nihilo - it is a product of centuries of changes, influences, experimenting and cross-polinating with other cultures. Shakespeare, Mozart and Picasso were all "cultural appropriators". Without it you have no development of any kind.

So the ends justify the means? OK monster.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on September 10, 2016, 02:21:06 AM

So the ends justify the means? OK monster.

I think his point is there are no ends.  :P

HVC

its just another form of being angry for the sake of being angry. People have it too good and too much time on their hands.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Archy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2016, 01:28:47 AM
Koreans have been putting hot dogs in kimchi stew since the Korean war.  STFU you retard.
And that's why DPRK and it's great leader are the real embodiment of Korean Culture

Ed Anger

:licklips:

But I just say no to Cinncinati style chili.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2016, 01:28:47 AM
Koreans have been putting hot dogs in kimchi stew since the Korean war.  STFU you retard.

No joke;  the number of Koreans saved from starvation by US troops is incalculable.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2016, 12:28:07 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 10, 2016, 12:25:37 AM
Looked up Manitoba fish flies. The pictures are like Moses wet dream.

But they don't bite. :contract:

Mrs B. was kind of grossed out by them at first.  But they just land on stuff.  They don't actually do anything.  They're harmless.

Damn non-functional Canadian insects.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I kind of get where they are coming from. Outright stealing existing stuff and doing tacky renditions of other people's stuff is obnoxious. But the first is already illegal and the second is just...well...tacky. But because we live in an era of outrage and hyperbole this, perhaps understandable, annoyance with tackiness gets taken to insisting something is some kind of genocidal warcrime outright destroying a culture with the white imperialism. Because nothing can just be innocuous. It checks both my boxes by also being vague as to what exactly it is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 10, 2016, 09:02:44 AM

Doesn't it have spaghetti in it? DESTRUCTION OF TWO CULTURES
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

lol

Cheez Whiz?  On a cheese steak sub?  CLASH OF CIVILIZATIONS

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2016, 12:07:27 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 10, 2016, 09:02:44 AM

Doesn't it have spaghetti in it? DESTRUCTION OF TWO CULTURES

We annhilated Italian culture, via pizza and Chef Boyardee, long ago.  :P

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2016, 12:23:22 AM
The family and I rented a cabin at Grand Beach Manitoba last year for summer holidays - holy crap was that just as good a beach as I remember as a kid.

So it was still a terrible 'beach' then?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Well, sure. After all, we are waiting for Polish culture to hit its stride.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.