News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How well do you know your country?

Started by Syt, December 02, 2015, 07:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

It appeared to have a Communist agenda so I dropped out.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Delirium

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

dps

I was ranked #2.  I was way off on the percentage of 25-34 year olds living with their parents, but fairly close on most of the rest, and spot on on a few.

Martinus

I am very good at it, it seems! Most of my answers are either spot on or very close to the actual answer. The "average responses" are just way off though. :D

Martinus

Some of the ones I got spectacularly wrong:

44% of Poles aged 25-34 live with their parents - what the fuck. I was out of my parents' home when I was 23 and I am a bit of a momma boy!

Martinus

Also:

Overall, people in South Korea, Ireland and Poland are the best informed among the countries where all the survey's questions were asked. Respondents in Brazil, India and Mexico occupy the bottom three places of the rankings with the biggest gap between the perception of issues and the actual numbers.

:yeah:

Martinus

Quote from: dps on December 02, 2015, 04:09:05 PM
I was ranked #2.  I was way off on the percentage of 25-34 year olds living with their parents, but fairly close on most of the rest, and spot on on a few.

I was ranked #1. :D

dps

I gave my mom the quiz, and she ended up ranked #21, but that was mostly because she was spectacularly and bizarrely wrong on 3 questions--percentage foreign-born (for some reason, she said 68% wtf?), wealthiest 1% (she guessed only 5%, which is just weird), and percentage of people who live in rural areas (she guessed 70%, which would have been low even around 1850).  Other than that, she was mostly closer to right than the US average, and pretty much nailed several (including the one about internet access, which surprised me--I figured she'd be way off on that one).

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on December 02, 2015, 04:15:32 PM

44% of Poles aged 25-34 live with their parents - what the fuck. I was out of my parents' home when I was 23 and I am a bit of a momma boy!

Economic reasons I suspect, not because they cannot leave the warm parental embrace.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2015, 04:32:22 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 02, 2015, 04:15:32 PM

Economic reasons I suspect, not because they cannot leave the warm parental embrace.

Coming to think of it, could be also the case of misreporting. Poland still has a "residence registration" regime (a relict of communist era). When you rent, many landlords refuse to let tenants register their residence at the flat they are renting, because this strengthens the tenants' protection (plus a lot of people rent out without paying taxes or reporting that otherwise). This means a lot of people who rent are still registered as resident with their parents.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2015, 10:23:00 AM
I ranked 1. Huh I thought I was pretty off on everything.

I was way under on obesity because I guess I missed 'overweight'. Hell I am surprised it is not 90%.

I missed that same thing for that exact reason also. Got rank 1.

Most countries surveyed overestimate the proportion of wealth owned by the 1%.
Interestingly, however, when asked how much wealth should the richest in society hold, the responses are closer to the actual levels.

:lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Seems you can be off by a mile and still get #1.