Zuckerberg Pledges 99% of Facebook Wealth "to Advance Humanity"

Started by Jacob, December 01, 2015, 06:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 04, 2015, 01:07:39 PM
Executive summary?

When rich people do nice things it's still evil.

I didn't read the whole thing.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2015, 02:16:49 PM
Executive summary?

Me neither, the blood on my eyes got too thick to see through about quarter of the way in.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2015, 02:16:49 PM
Executive summary?

It is because of Andrew Carnegie. Before him philanthropy was ok.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2015, 07:12:40 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on December 01, 2015, 07:04:59 PM
Btw, does this mean that Zuckerberg will be skipping out on paying billions of dollars in capital gains tax?

Of course.

Actually, the way he is structuring this venture he won't avoid it.  The new entity is going to be a standard corporation to avoid the restrictions placed upon non-profits.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2015, 02:25:55 PM

I imagine you are being facetious, but I disagree anyway.  Carnegie's philanthropy was definitely OK.  This article is part and parcel of the current class war against fat cats and billionaires.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 04, 2015, 02:31:50 PM
Actually, the way he is structuring this venture he won't avoid it.  The new entity is going to be a standard corporation to avoid the restrictions placed upon non-profits.

OK.  But presumably he would still get the write off when he disburses money from his privately owned for profit corporation.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2015, 02:38:03 PM

I imagine you are being facetious, but I disagree anyway.  Carnegie's philanthropy was definitely OK.  This article is part and parcel of the current class war against fat cats and billionaires.

I just did not get the connection between how Carnegie being mean to workers has anything to do with Zuckerberg :lol:

What do those two guys have in common besides both having loads of cash to give away? And the author really bends over backwards to find anything to portray Zuckerberg as a monster. Facebook got rich STEALING IDENTITY and he got his start FACILITATING DATE-RAPE. RAPE CULTURE BILLIONAIRE!!

Yeah it was pretty ridiculous.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2015, 02:44:53 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2015, 02:38:03 PM

I just did not get the connection between how Carnegie being mean to workers has anything to do with Zuckerberg :lol:

What do those two guys have in common besides both having loads of cash to give away? And the author really bends over backwards to find anything to portray Zuckerberg as a monster. Facebook got rich STEALING IDENTITY and he got his start FACILITATING DATE-RAPE. RAPE CULTURE BILLIONAIRE!!

I really appreciated the author throwing that right into the beginning of his article. Saved me some time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2015, 02:41:18 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 04, 2015, 02:31:50 PM

OK.  But presumably he would still get the write off when he disburses money from his privately owned for profit corporation.

Only if the money goes to tax-deductible purposes.  The point of structuring this as an LLC is to not have investments restricted to certain purposes.

Plus, he doesn't need to form a corporation if all he wants to do is disburse his money.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2015, 02:44:53 PM

The author's primary concern is obviously income inequality.  The connections that he uses to tie this to Zuckerberg, (Andrew Carnegie, loss of union jobs due to Uber and Air BNB, early retirement for senior teachers in Newark) are all tenuous; but without Zuckerberg to pillory it's unlikely this editorial would receive much notice.  It would be yet another screed about income inequality on Al-Jazeera.

QuoteWhat do those two guys have in common besides both having loads of cash to give away? And the author really bends over backwards to find anything to portray Zuckerberg as a monster. Facebook got rich STEALING IDENTITY and he got his start FACILITATING DATE-RAPE. RAPE CULTURE BILLIONAIRE!!

That was the part that reminded me of Major Barbara.  Zuckerberg's charity is funded with tainted money.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Siege

What a retard.
Why doesn't he do what rich people are supposed to do, invest money and create wealth and jobs while they get richer and invest more money and create even more wealth and jobs?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DGuller

Quote from: Siege on December 05, 2015, 11:04:17 PM
What a retard.
Why doesn't he do what rich people are supposed to do, invest money and create wealth and jobs while they get richer and invest more money and create even more wealth and jobs?
D+

Valmy

What a retard.

He is investing money but in technology and research. Fuck dude I thought you were on my side here. What happened to the singularity? Now you are obsessed with piddly low tech economic bullshit?

Razgovory

What a retard.

China has enough investment, Siege.  Stop trying to give them American stuff.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017