Should the Edmonton Eskimos have to change their name?

Started by Barrister, December 01, 2015, 01:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

The Edmonton Emigrants

As a veiled threat to move unless granted a new stadium paid for by taxpayers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2015, 03:39:33 PM
The Edmonton Emigrants

As a veiled threat to move unless granted a new stadium paid for by taxpayers.

:lol:

Here's one of the great things about the CFL - the Eskimos (along with the Blue Bombers and the Roughriders) are community owned.  There's no way they'd ever move.

And although Commonwealth Stadium is starting to show it's nearly 70 years of age, its still one of the nicest (and definitely the biggest) CFL stadium in Canada.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on December 02, 2015, 02:29:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2015, 01:58:00 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 02, 2015, 01:36:58 PM
Next time, name your teams for birds, animals or better yet: climate.  These will never complain ;)

Tell it to the late 19th / early 20th century.

Clearly no one would name a team this way now.  But can some leeway not be given to historical names?

Not according to garbon. Time to purge any historical figure that does not conform to today's exacting standards.

That doesn't even make any sense. If you are going to make up stances for me, can you at least point out that it is fictional in your posts? Thx.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

How about the Edmonton Emos?

They could specify that the Emos they are naming the team after are the Inuit that want them to change the name. Not all Inuit, and not historical Inuit. Just the people complaining today. The current mascot could be replaced by a mascot that is physically weak, overweight, whiny, and constantly flanked by lawyers.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2015, 04:58:05 PM
They can but most countries are not insisting on other countries using their "original" name. For example Germany does not go around telling English or French to call them "Deutschland".
Germany changed its official name from Deutsches Reich to Bundesrepublik Deutschland in 1949 and would get really annoyed if it was called Deutsches Reich (or e.g. German Reich) by official or even non-official communication. So it's just that our last name change is a while ago and was actually greeted by other countries as it signified breaking with the past.