Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on June 22, 2009, 06:38:11 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 22, 2009, 06:36:27 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 22, 2009, 04:53:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2009, 04:51:34 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 22, 2009, 04:48:18 AM
Game, set, match: Jaron :thumbsup:

Yeah, good going, gyppo. How does it feel to be on the same side as Jaron, Neil, lettow and Martim Silva? I can see how you can consider them your betters, though.

:rolleyes: throwing insults around is admitting defeat

He starts most of his post by "You are retarded".  :lmfao:

And he loses most arguments ;)

Nonsense. :P

Sheilbh

I think there's an interesting difference in views.  Tim and others seem to think the purpose of monuments is to honour the sacrifices made; RH and others point out that in the UK, with WW1 especially, it's far more to remember the sacrifices.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 27, 2009, 05:56:17 PM
I think there's an interesting difference in views.  Tim and others seem to think the purpose of monuments is to honour the sacrifices made; RH and others point out that in the UK, with WW1 especially, it's far more to remember the sacrifices.

Explain the difference.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2009, 08:11:25 PM
Explain the difference.
Honouring, to me, seems closer to justifying the war in a 'support our boys' way.  Remembering is about just that, it's about remembering the sacrifices.  I think anything to do with WW1 that were seen as supportive of the war would be weird in this country.  It's had a huge cultural impact.  Remembering the soldiers who fought in what's seen as a futile, incompetent, bloody and brutal war in which lions were led by donkeys is different because you can remember those who deserted and were shot, despite suffering from extreme shell-shock and you can remember the French mutineers who refused all offensive missions.  Whereas I think Tim's right: if your goal is to honour, then how can you do it without dishonouring the rest?
Let's bomb Russia!