Main Menu

Has Ank gone off the deep end?

Started by Martinus, November 28, 2015, 01:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Jaron on November 29, 2015, 01:58:49 PM
Quote from: Maximus on November 29, 2015, 12:39:49 PM
Quote from: Jaron on November 28, 2015, 10:03:56 PM
Mormons are allowed to baptize their relatives after death. The controversy comes from when they baptize someone completely unrelated to them.

It is a proxy baptism and the deceased has the choice to accept or reject it.
Allowed by whom?

The church high command

How does the deceased accept or reject it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Unfortunately, it appears the only way to really get the Mormons to stop retroactively baptizing people would be to start killing their Fruity Pebble asses first. 

Then maybe if they're too busy scraping their fucked up footie pajamas off the walls, they'll be too busy to bother fucking with others. 

Maximus

Quote from: Jaron on November 29, 2015, 01:58:49 PM
Quote from: Maximus on November 29, 2015, 12:39:49 PM
Quote from: Jaron on November 28, 2015, 10:03:56 PM
Mormons are allowed to baptize their relatives after death. The controversy comes from when they baptize someone completely unrelated to them.

It is a proxy baptism and the deceased has the choice to accept or reject it.
Allowed by whom?

The church high command
So the mormons allow the mormons to do what they want to do. Nice.

Razgovory

So long as they don't dig anyone up to do it, I don't really see the harm.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Jews, for example, really aren't fond of the practice.  When someone discovered records that Anne Frank had been posthumously baptized by the Mormons it caused a bit of a stir.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on November 29, 2015, 04:14:22 PM
Jews, for example, really aren't fond of the practice.  When someone discovered records that Anne Frank had been posthumously baptized by the Mormons it caused a bit of a stir.

I was more concerned with the Ann Frank slash fiction, but what'cha gonna do?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grinning_Colossus

Anne Frank/Joseph Smith

Well, I suppose it'd be more like Anne Frank/Joseph Smith/Miep/Bep.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Eddie Teach

Not as good as Anne Frank/Frau Kat.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Or for Marti: Joseph Smith/Brigham Young

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2015, 04:23:22 PM

Jewish Holocaust victims are dead precisely because they were Jewish. 
To retroactively baptize them for the purpose of accepting Christ as their savior in the afterlife in order to fulfill some fruity Christian cult's End of Times masturbatory fantasy is to blithely dismiss both how they died, and why. 
It is Holocaust denial and antisemitism, and it is a wholly offensive and obscene practice.  So don't be so fucking dense, Raz.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 29, 2015, 05:05:16 PM

To retroactively baptize them for the purpose of accepting Christ as their savior in the afterlife in order to fulfill some fruity Christian cult's End of Times masturbatory fantasy is to blithely dismiss both how they died, and why. 
It is Holocaust denial and antisemitism, and it is a wholly offensive and obscene practice.  So don't be so fucking dense, Raz.

For the Nazis the religious element was not important to why they killed Jews.  They saw them as a different race.  Changing their religion would not save them.  Some Dingus in Utah doing a ritual doesn't change why they died, or how.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2015, 05:11:33 PM
For the Nazis the religious element was not important to why they killed Jews.  They saw them as a different race.  Changing their religion would not save them.  Some Dingus in Utah doing a ritual doesn't change why they died, or how.

It matters to Jews.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 29, 2015, 05:05:16 PM

:yes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 29, 2015, 05:18:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2015, 05:11:33 PM

It matters to Jews.

That very well may be, but it's a long shot from "it matters to the Jews" to "it's Holocaust denial".

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on November 29, 2015, 03:52:55 PM
So the mormons allow the mormons to do what they want to do. Nice.

Yeah. the Catholics allow the Catholics to perform ritual cannibalism, the Mormons allow the Mormon to perform ritual baptism, and so forth.  It's called religion.  It's nice for those for whom it is nice, I suppose.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!