News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy 'Murican Thanksgiving Languish!

Started by Valmy, November 26, 2015, 12:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Thankful for Languish. This place is a haven for rational discourse on the internet...which probably says some pretty damning things about the internet. Anyway love all you gentlemen and ladies and the crazy community we have set up here for the past 12 or so years. I will drink a seasonal beer at Thanksgiving dinner in your honor.

This is really my favorite Holiday of the year. Happiness, in my opinion, begins with being gracious.

There is this quote by Cicero that gets tossed around this time of year.

Quoteetenim, iudices, cum omnibus virtutibus me adfectum esse cupio, tum nihil est quod malim quam me et esse gratum et videri. haec enim est una virtus non solum maxima sed etiam mater virtutum omnium reliquarum.

or "In truth, O judges, while I wish to be adorned with every virtue, yet there is nothing which I can esteem more highly than being and appearing grateful. For this one virtue is not only the greatest, but is also the parent of all the other virtues."

Also this is a day we Americans all eat way too much and watch sports...so pretty much like any other day but we say a few things about being thankful while doing it.

I am going to be at the Texas-Texas Tech game tonight giving thanks my team is 4-6 and not 3-7.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

You guys are more than a month late. :contract: :Canuck:

Hey, in 12 years, some response have been traditional. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

You're just jealous of our longer growing season.  :homestar:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

I'm not drunk so I won't claim to love you guys.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jaron

Happy Thanksgiving.... #ThanksgivingWithInternetFamilies
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Malthus

I am grateful for our American friends.  :)

Only please, please do not elect Trump as your President, as I would like to remain grateful.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Even, if most of you hate me & the rest simply don't understand me, I am thankful for languish.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Happy Thanksgiving* Languish Americanos, have a good one.  :)

*still not sure after all these years of what it entails; it's the one that starts with a foreign born President sacrificing a turkey to Allah on the grounds of the presidential palace, right?  :cool:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on November 26, 2015, 03:01:38 PM
Happy Thanksgiving* Languish Americanos, have a good one.  :)

*still not sure after all these years of what it entails; it's the one that starts with a foreign born President sacrificing a turkey to Allah on the grounds of the presidential palace, right?  :cool:

It's even stranger than that: the foreign born President officially pardons a turkey in the name of Allah's mercy on the grounds of the presidential palace. The turkey then goes on to live "in retirement".

[I bet you think I'm joking ...  ;) ]

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/25/457253194/the-strange-truth-behind-presidential-turkey-pardons
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

I love you, Valmy (I also had gin and tonic so I'm legally drunk and entitled to say that). Your attitude to religiosity had been an influence that helped me to deal with my own journey towards that aspect of my life. Perhaps not in the way you intended, but I gotta acknowledge that you have helped me find "God"* :cool:

* I am not saying you were a decisive influence, so don't get too full of yourself, but I am thankful for that. :P

Martinus

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on November 26, 2015, 05:09:59 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 26, 2015, 05:09:21 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 26, 2015, 02:31:56 PM
Even, if most of you hate me

wut?

Yeah, Gen Wolfe is probably the most harmless/non-hated member here. :P

We only hate him because, well, this is Languish and we hate everyone.  Especially each other.  :D

[Seriously, no-one hates Gen Wolfe  ;) ]