The Incredible Shrinking Incomes of Young Americans

Started by Syt, November 26, 2015, 07:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

What if young Americans cut their hair and got a job?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

My wary regarding used cars is that how the car was used can have a major impact. eg. this used car of ours had to be handled very carelessly and brutally by the previous owner to end up in the shape it turned out to be.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2015, 12:59:13 PM
Fizzbin?!? :bleeding:

If you're going to use a nerd reference, at least get it close to right.  The Star Trek race was the Ferengi, which would have been good enough, but for full marks it is the Rules of Acquisition. :contract:

Original Trek is best Trek.   :)

Anyway, Fizzbin is funnier.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 26, 2015, 02:04:33 PM

If you're going to use a nerd reference, at least get it close to right.  The Star Trek race was the Ferengi, which would have been good enough, but for full marks it is the Rules of Acquisition. :contract:

You have, indeed, out-nerded me. :weep:

Rules of Fizzbin is a valid Star Trek reference that went over my head.   :Embarrass:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2015, 02:18:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 26, 2015, 02:04:33 PM

You have, indeed, out-nerded me. :weep:

Rules of Fizzbin is a valid Star Trek reference that went over my head.   :Embarrass:

Heh, I thought you got it, but were making fun of my using ToS.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Phillip V

If young Americans have it so bad, why are they not causing a ruckus?

Malthus

Quote from: Phillip V on November 26, 2015, 02:44:52 PM

Because if they do, their parents will bang on the floor and tell them to keep it down.  ;)

Razgovory

Quote from: Phillip V on November 26, 2015, 02:44:52 PM

Yeah, it's not like we've seen riots or protests in the last few years. :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

More seriously - it is really hard to complain when the source of the problem isn't well understood, even by professional economists.

I've been saying for years now that the West is moving to a system where the non-rich are divvied up into "haves" and "have nots", and the middle ground between 'em is getting relentlessly squeezed.

What there is to be done about it is less obvious.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 26, 2015, 03:50:38 PM
More seriously - it is really hard to complain when the source of the problem isn't well understood, even by professional economists.

I've been saying for years now that the West is moving to a system where the non-rich are divvied up into "haves" and "have nots", and the middle ground between 'em is getting relentlessly squeezed.

I agree. 

Jacob

It does seem to be the case, yes.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Larch on November 26, 2015, 11:12:39 AMThey bent over backwards (doubled the warranty, which for an used car is important IMO) to get me to agree to finance half of it through their loan company, which I finally did.

I had a similar experience buying both my FJ and the Challenger. In both cases I paid the loan off anyway the next month.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

It's an environment where expenses are higher and wages are lower. The solution to that problem is exactly what economists don't want people to do: save money. That's how people gain social mobility and separation from the paycheck to paycheck dependency.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Larch

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 26, 2015, 05:29:11 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 26, 2015, 11:12:39 AMThey bent over backwards (doubled the warranty, which for an used car is important IMO) to get me to agree to finance half of it through their loan company, which I finally did.

I had a similar experience buying both my FJ and the Challenger. In both cases I paid the loan off anyway the next month.  :P

I was tied to my deal for a year, I couldn't pay the loan instantly. The extra warranty still costed more than the little interest I had to pay, though.

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 26, 2015, 05:34:29 PM

It's an environment where expenses are higher and wages are lower. The solution to that problem is exactly what economists don't want people to do: save money. That's how people gain social mobility and separation from the paycheck to paycheck dependency.

Real wages certainly appear to be lower and the cost of living is higher.  In addition the amount of income disparity is growing to levels not seen for a very long time.  I doubt that merely telling people who have no disposable income to save more is the solution.