Trump is a fascist.

Started by jimmy olsen, November 25, 2015, 10:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In your opinion, is Trump a fascist?

Yes
9 (22%)
No
21 (51.2%)
It's more complicated than that because...
11 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 26, 2015, 12:32:02 AM
Can't cut and paste where I'm at right now, but he checks off 5 out of 9 of Paxton's passions (he wrote The Anatomy of Fascism).

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/11/donald-trump-a-fascist.html

The test is so vague a Soviet Communist could end up with a perfect score under that system.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 25, 2015, 10:27:32 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 25, 2015, 10:21:36 PM
I don't think he's a fascist.  I do, however, think that he's consciously appealing to fascists, of which there are a fair number among the right wing in US.  Ultimately, it doesn't matter that much what Trump personally believes, what matters is that he's making fascist sentiment more mainstream, and for that he should burn in hell.

Does it matter? If a populist wins power by appealing to fascists or communists, and then governs in the way his base wishes, does it matter if he personally thinks it's all a crock of shit? That person is still a fascist/communist dictator.

:hmm:

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on November 26, 2015, 12:50:08 AM
Can't cut and paste where I'm at right now, but he checks off 5 out of 9 of Paxton's passions (he wrote The Anatomy of Fascism).

The test is so vague a Soviet Communist could end up with a perfect score under that system.
Which is not at all absurd.  I have no idea where the concept of communism being an antithesis of fascism came from, but that is the absurd notion.  There are far more similarities than differences between the two systems.

Martinus

I love that we first bemoan that the term "fascist" has been so devalued it essentially became meaningless and then proceed to apply the fascism "test" that makes the description essentially meaningless. :D

Putin, Erdogan, Orban, Kaczynski, Trump all practice (or in Trump's case, preach) some form of jingoistic right wing populism. None of them is fascist (yet).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 25, 2015, 10:47:15 PM
When a politician explicitly calls for the state to round up 11 million people, and they call for the state register a religious minority for government surveillance, and they call for protesters to be beaten, what else can you call him?

I don't see how calling for enforcement of existing law makes one a fascist.

Martinus

Yeah, seriously. I guess anyone who supports over 2 million of people being locked up currently in the US prisons (as opposed to being let out) is a fascist too.

Martinus

If I were an American I would be more worried by the likes of Mike Huckabee or Marco Rubio, who claim that "God's laws" are above "human laws". This is much more dangerous and anti-democratic than calling for a vigorous enforcement of law against people who break it.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on November 26, 2015, 01:08:48 AM
I love that we first bemoan that the term "fascist" has been so devalued it essentially became meaningless and then proceed to apply the fascism "test" that makes the description essentially meaningless. :D

Putin, Erdogan, Orban, Kaczynski, Trump all practice (or in Trump's case, preach) some form of jingoistic right wing populism. None of them is fascist (yet).
Okay, then why don't you come up with a synonym for "authoritarian" that rolls off the tongue quite as easily as "fascist"?

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on November 26, 2015, 01:24:39 AM
If I were an American I would be more worried by the likes of Mike Huckabee or Marco Rubio, who claim that "God's laws" are above "human laws". This is much more dangerous and anti-democratic than calling for a vigorous enforcement of law against people who break it.
It comes from more or less the same mindset.  These people feel like they should not be bound by laws they disagree with, or accept the democratic legitimacy of the president they don't like.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on November 26, 2015, 01:27:44 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 26, 2015, 01:24:39 AM
It comes from more or less the same mindset.  These people feel like they should not be bound by laws they disagree with, or accept the democratic legitimacy of the president they don't like.

What about the mindset where you feel like other people should not be bound by laws you disagree* with? Say, 11 million of other people? :P

*Mind you, I am not even sure most of those who accuse Trump of fascism and racism for wanting to enforce US immigration laws go as far as to disagree with those laws.

DGuller

Well, the problem of illegal immigration is more of a practical problem.  It's not so much that people argue that immigration law doesn't matter, but rather decades of lax enforcement created facts on the ground that cannot be ignored.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 26, 2015, 01:05:40 AM

Which is not at all absurd.  I have no idea where the concept of communism being an antithesis of fascism came from, but that is the absurd notion.  There are far more similarities than differences between the two systems.

Well, with any luck you'll get to experience both first hand.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 26, 2015, 01:18:18 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 25, 2015, 10:47:15 PM
When a politician explicitly calls for the state to round up 11 million people, and they call for the state register a religious minority for government surveillance, and they call for protesters to be beaten, what else can you call him?

I don't see how calling for enforcement of existing law makes one a fascist.

Trump used Operation Wetback as his model, which result in the deportation of American citizens, and the deaths of many.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I wonder how much of this stuff he feels strongly about himself and how much he is just saying to appeal to the worst of people (the Republican right) and try and trick his way into government so he can pull some dodgy libertarian bollocks. 
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on November 26, 2015, 01:05:40 AM

It is absurd. There may be lots of similarities between the systems in practice and they may not be the antithesis of each other, but communism is not a synonym for fascism.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014