News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Good News From The Middle East

Started by mongers, November 24, 2015, 04:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Good riddance.

Hoping the rest of those who joined IS or any Islamist/extremist Syrian group, share the same fate.
For those that returned, I hope they all see jail time or if women some form of house arrest/monitoring.

QuoteSeventy Britons killed in Syria and Iraq - Home Office official

24 November 2015

Between 750 and 800 Britons have gone to Syria and Iraq, and 70 have been killed, the Home Office's counter-terrorism chief has told MPs.

Charles Farr said about half had since returned to the UK.

Most of the Britons who have travelled to the conflict zone in Syria and Iraq are thought to have joined IS, which came to international attention in 2014 when it seized large swathes of territory.

Full article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34915384
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

I agree but why different treatment for men and women? :P

It's not like we are considering women less mentally capable of making their own decisions, are we?

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2015, 04:03:23 PM
I agree but why different treatment for men and women? :P

It's not like we are considering women less mentally capable of making their own decisions, are we?

Just a practical matter, the men have being doing the killing, the women have served as wives etc, haven't heard of one fighting or being a suicide bomber.

Plus a lot seemed to have gone with their children, now if they comeback, maybe it's a case of taking into consideration the children's welfare or maybe taking them away from such a misguided parent.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

How do they know they've been killed?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 24, 2015, 04:51:39 PM
How do they know they've been killed?
If they pinch themselves and don't wake up, then they know.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on November 24, 2015, 05:42:08 PM
"Britons" lol.
'

Clearly the Saxons were less thorough then their reputation would suggest.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Archy

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Richard Hakluyt

I haven't heard much about what is happening to the returnees. Every now and then you get a report that someone has been jailed, but I have no idea what the over-arching policy is  :hmm:

Maybe it is all sub judice. I hope they are not simply allowed to return to their former homes.

Jaron

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 25, 2015, 02:05:58 AM
I haven't heard much about what is happening to the returnees. Every now and then you get a report that someone has been jailed, but I have no idea what the over-arching policy is  :hmm:

Maybe it is all sub judice. I hope they are not simply allowed to return to their former homes.

Maybe the best punishment is the moral lessons they learned in Syria.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Richard Hakluyt

I've no doubt that some of them are just stupid kids who turned tail and returned to Britain when they saw the reality but some will also be a threat.