News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do The Kurds Deserve Their Own Nation State?

Started by mongers, November 24, 2015, 02:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do The Kurds Deserve Their Own Nation State?

Yes
35 (83.3%)
No
4 (9.5%)
Undecided
3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 42

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2015, 03:25:36 PM
"deserve" has nothing to do with anything.

Deserve has quite a bit to do with it for me.  Part of the calculus is predicting how much like grown ups they will act once they have independence.

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 24, 2015, 04:13:24 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 24, 2015, 04:10:54 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on November 24, 2015, 04:09:26 PM
Before or after?.. nuking them from orbit.

You want to nuke the Kurds? :unsure:

edit:

Or did you mean, the Kurds declare UDI, all the nasty forces in the region converge on them to snuff out the nascent nation state and then the US tatically nukes the descending hordes?

Not just the Kurds.

That seems a little ... indiscriminate.

My plan would see all the eschatological fundamentalists being turned into ashes, pretty close by to places that they foresee as being where Armageddon would be fought.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Every country where they are a sizable minority seems hellbent on trying to kill them off. So it seems it's even a matter of necessity.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2015, 02:35:00 PM
Yeah, it seems like a good idea now, but the situation is like Poland pre-WWI.  We could end up with the Kurdish lawyer posting all sorts of nonsense here. I'm not sure we want to take that chance.

Dang.  Wish I had read this before I voted Yes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Monoriu

Only if they win a war of independence against every one of their overlords first.  Otherwise, they don't deserve their own state.

DGuller

Too bad for Kurds that these poll results are not binding.  :(

OttoVonBismarck

I struggle with this. I don't necessarily believe in the right of self-determination--if that were the case we have to argue the Confederate States should've been allowed to break away from the union. Ethnic nationalism has lead to much of the worst troubles of the late 19th and first half of the 20th century. I think the model where multiple ethnic groups can exist in the same country without exploding is a superior one to one in which it's expected any self-identified ethnic group deserves its own state.

For the Kurds in particular, Iran will never give up their land for a Kurdish State, and Turkey won't either. To be honest, Turkey is a NATO ally and when push comes to shove I can't get behind pressuring them to give up their land. Namely because you could make the same argument about several NATO allies and land they hold (e.g. Spain, United Kingdom etc.) We should pressure Turkey to end discrimination and hostility against peaceful Kurds (but continue to condemn the Kurds who engage in terrorism.)

I'd be okay with the United States trying to work to link up the Kurdish regions of Syria and Iraq and move it towards full statehood, though.

MadImmortalMan

I don't like the use of the word deserve in this context. So I voted no. But I do think a state for the Kurds might be a good idea.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 24, 2015, 05:42:30 PM
I struggle with this. I don't necessarily believe in the right of self-determination--if that were the case we have to argue the Confederate States should've been allowed to break away from the union.

Since southerners weren't distinct group separate from northerners, we don't have this problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

I struggle with this. I don't necessarily believe in the right of self-determination--if that were the case we have to argue the Confederate States should've been allowed to break away from the union.

They probably should have been allowed to break away.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grinning_Colossus

Yes. Though the ones I have in mind will insist that it's not a nation-state. Or a state.  :punk:
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

viper37

Quote from: mongers on November 24, 2015, 04:07:05 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 24, 2015, 03:25:38 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 24, 2015, 02:28:47 PM
Do the Kurds deserve their own nation state?

You can take or define deserve however you wish, but the scenario I'm outlining is the Kurdish areas of Turkey, Iraq, Syria and Iran declaring national independence, which could obvioulsy prove rather messy.
Yes they do deserve a State of their own. Carve it out of Syrian and Iraq, eventually the Kurds from Iran and Turkey will move there, so the question of oppressed ethnic minorities would settle itself in these countries.

I could see that happening, but there's 7-8 million Kurds in Turkey, there isn't the land, certainly agricultural land to accommodate many of them, so a future Kurdish state eventually has to take a chunk out of Turkey, like how Attaturk did with French Syria in the 20s40s?

IIRC the Kurds in Iran are concentrated in just a few towns and small areas along the mountainous border, it would be relatively easy for a nation state to agree to minor border revisions or more likely allow those Iranian Kurds who wished to, to emigrate to the new entity. 

Carving a Kurdish state out of Iran and Turkey is not gonna happen.  Iran is not going to let any border, even small one, being redrawn.  Iraq and Syrie will protest, but they will be in no shape to do anything about it.  Turkey would never agree to a viable Kurdish state on its border and it will do its best to make life a living hell for any Kurdish state and for Kurds in their territory, sorta like how muslim countries treated Jews after Israel was created.  So, Turkey would never agree to a partition of its territory, and they certainly are in a position to create problems.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Ethnic nationalism has lead to much of the worst troubles of the late 19th and first half of the 20th century.
Imperialism caused the wars.  For WW1, the desire for Empires to maintain their territorial integrity above all else.  For WWII, the desire of former empires to regain their past "glory" of oppressing minorities.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.