News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do The Kurds Deserve Their Own Nation State?

Started by mongers, November 24, 2015, 02:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do The Kurds Deserve Their Own Nation State?

Yes
35 (83.3%)
No
4 (9.5%)
Undecided
3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 42

mongers

Do the Kurds deserve their own nation state?

You can take or define deserve however you wish, but the scenario I'm outlining is the Kurdish areas of Turkey, Iraq, Syria and Iran declaring national independence, which could obvioulsy prove rather messy.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Deserving has nothing to do with anything.

I don't know if them having one would be good or not. They are an oppressed minority in four different shitty countries but if they had one would things necessarily be better for everybody?

The USA thought they should have one during the Treaty of Versailles but did not have the will to make it happen. A historical what if there I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Yeah, it seems like a good idea now, but the situation is like Poland pre-WWI.  We could end up with the Kurdish lawyer posting all sorts of nonsense here. I'm not sure we want to take that chance.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2015, 02:35:00 PM
Yeah, it seems like a good idea now, but the situation is like Poland pre-WWI.  We could end up with the Kurdish lawyer posting all sorts of nonsense here. I'm not sure we want to take that chance.

:lol:

Raz, don't worry it would take 70 odd years, so only your grandchildren here would be bothered.

KRonn

I think they're already a de-facto state in all but name. Prior to Iraq melting down and becoming a lot more cozy with Iran with increasing tension between Sunnis and Shias, then losing out to ISIS with mainly the Kurds being a viable force to fight back, they were already a functioning, quasi-independent province. Now with the way things are I would think there's a lot more impetus for them to be independent, especially as more calls come for Iraq to maybe split up in Sunni and Shia states. Turkey would be against a Kurdish state but I envision Kurdistan to occupy their current lands in northern Iraq, not to take or receive lands in Turkey.

Martinus

I think they do. They have already proven that, at least when it comes to women rights, they are way ahead of most of the cultures in the region. And the states in the region seem like they are either failed (Iraq, Syria) or assholish (Turkey, Iran).

Plus, to elaborate on Raz's post, I'd fuck a gay Kurdish lawyer.

Barrister

"deserve" has nothing to do with anything.

Kurds should have the right of self-determination though - they should have the opportunity to form a nation state if they want one.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: mongers on November 24, 2015, 02:28:47 PM

You can take or define deserve however you wish, but the scenario I'm outlining is the Kurdish areas of Turkey, Iraq, Syria and Iran declaring national independence, which could obvioulsy prove rather messy.
Yes they do deserve a State of their own. Carve it out of Syrian and Iraq, eventually the Kurds from Iran and Turkey will move there, so the question of oppressed ethnic minorities would settle itself in these countries.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Ideally, the gay Kurdish lawyer I'd fuck would be a Yezidi, by the way. Just saying.

Josquius

Sure they do.
Unfortunately the Turks are authoritarian dicks.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on November 24, 2015, 03:25:38 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 24, 2015, 02:28:47 PM

Yes they do deserve a State of their own. Carve it out of Syrian and Iraq, eventually the Kurds from Iran and Turkey will move there, so the question of oppressed ethnic minorities would settle itself in these countries.

I could see that happening, but there's 7-8 million Kurds in Turkey, there isn't the land, certainly agricultural land to accommodate many of them, so a future Kurdish state eventually has to take a chunk out of Turkey, like how Attaturk did with French Syria in the 20s40s?

IIRC the Kurds in Iran are concentrated in just a few towns and small areas along the mountainous border, it would be relatively easy for a nation state to agree to minor border revisions or more likely allow those Iranian Kurds who wished to, to emigrate to the new entity. 

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 24, 2015, 04:09:26 PM
Before or after?.. nuking them from orbit.

You want to nuke the Kurds? :unsure:

edit:

Or did you mean, the Kurds declare UDI, all the nasty forces in the region converge on them to snuff out the nascent nation state and then the US tatically nukes the descending hordes?

lustindarkness

Quote from: mongers on November 24, 2015, 04:10:54 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on November 24, 2015, 04:09:26 PM
Before or after?.. nuking them from orbit.

You want to nuke the Kurds? :unsure:

edit:

Or did you mean, the Kurds declare UDI, all the nasty forces in the region converge on them to snuff out the nascent nation state and then the US tatically nukes the descending hordes?

Not just the Kurds.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom