News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Top Fears of 2015

Started by Syt, November 18, 2015, 04:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on November 18, 2015, 05:50:29 PM
There's a connection between the anti-vaccination lunacy and the whooping cough?

Yeah, should be the other way around.

garbon

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 18, 2015, 05:37:05 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2015, 05:16:07 PM
Moldy, did you happen to see if it was a legit random survey or a bullshit internet poll?

Although I suppose it could be considered a rational response if you interpret the question as "do you think corruption exists at all" rather than "does [corruption] cause you overwhelming dread and sleepless nights."

Sorry, meant to post the link to the full data (since it isn't liked from the blog post for some reason): http://www.chapman.edu/wilkinson/research-centers/babbie-center/survey-american-fears.aspx

It was a legit, randomized GfK poll.

Pfft. Their head of project was just a Senior Research Manager?

A couple things that are curious - why did they prime respondents with questions about property/violent crimes before asking them about their fears? Also I wonder why they didn't randomise the order of the questions about fears?

Does explain how things like Obamacare made the list, none of this was open ended. Just rating scales on level of fear to their listed items. Or dress was was really noting that you are afraid that people judge you about the way you dress.

Actually not to go all DGul but as the percentages listed in that infographic are just % who said they are afraid to very afraid, I don't think there is much to say that people to say that people are actually more afraid of weight than say 'rape by someone you know'. One came in a question with several other personal attributes and as how afraid are you being judged because of your... and the other came in a list of how afraid are you of becoming the victim of the following crimes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

#1- 87.5% of Americans fear filling in an online survey, so most fill it with BS answers.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2015, 05:51:27 PM
Quote from: dps on November 18, 2015, 05:50:29 PM
There's a connection between the anti-vaccination lunacy and the whooping cough?

Yeah, should be the other way around.

Not saying anti-vaxxers fear whooping cough, saying that people fear whooping cough because anti-vaxxers are providing a breeding ground for it.