0 (0%)
Valentinians
0 (0%)
Docetism
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2015, 04:08:06 PM
Jeez, and I thought Polish catholics were weird...

I guess it was a product of having to expand the stations of the cross - in that the writers of the diary wanted a *different* nasty thing to happen to Jesus, one for every day of the year. Since the actual Bible doesn't actually record 365 nasty things done to Jesus, they had to get ... creative.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2015, 04:10:53 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 19, 2015, 11:25:59 AM
Pretty sure few others have faced that ...

Good thing you Jews have a good sense of humor.

Heh - the odd part is, I got along with them perfectly fine, and still do.  ;)

That wasn't the end of the religious oddities.

Another time, we were at her house, her parents were out, we'd shut the bedroom door (she was at university but still used 'her room' on occasion), and were, as it were, making out - no clothes off mind, but still.

All of a sudden, the door pops open - and in jumps a priest, in full regalia, embroidered robes and all. I hadn't heard him coming into the house. In fact, the front door was locked!

He sees me, flummoxed, still in an embrace - and I see a maniacal grin on his face, as he spots his target ... us (specifically, me). He was holding some sort of metal tool (or, I thought, weapon) in his hand. He swung it, hard, right at my head ... and out of the end shoots a stream of water, that hits me right in the face!

I said something intelligent, like 'gaaahh'.  :lol:

Without a work, the priest pops back out of the door and shuts it behind him.

I am then informed that this is a ceremony that takes place every year - that the priest visits your house and sprinkles holy water in every room. Her parents, who knew the priest well, gave him a copy of the key and told him to just let himself in (he had many houses to do and they were not sure when they would be in). Naturally, seeing us there, he took the opportunity to have a little fun at our expense - particularly when he saw what we were up to. :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on November 19, 2015, 04:51:54 PM
You got the spray bottle treatment lol

Basically, yes.  ;)

But it wasn't a bottle, more of a metal thingy like a short club with holes in a ball at the end of it. Looked at first sight like something to bash someone with.  :lol:

Edit: I googled - it is called an "aspergillum". Learn something new every day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergillum

Martinus

Yeah it's a common tool of trade. You use it to spray holy water. Maybe he was hoping you'd burst into flames. :P

HVC

I remember those. And the incense version too.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2015, 05:04:38 PM
Yeah it's a common tool of trade. You use it to spray holy water. Maybe he was hoping you'd burst into flames. :P

Well, I have to admit, from what I remember it certainly killed the mood. ;)