Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 26, 2021, 02:05:44 PM
Add to all that the tipping point problem.  The Amazon creates its own rain forest climate zone.  But it is reaching the point where it does not now cover enough area to do that.  When it stops creating its own self perpetuating rain, the who thing is going to turn into savannah.

Yes, a very important point. Some pessimists think we have already gone past that tipping point; I have also seen articles that suggest that the loss of just 7% of the remaining forest cover will doom the forest.

Syt

Whether or not we're beyond tipping point, it appears things will get worse during our lifetimes before they get better.

I'm wary of promises of carbon capture technologies. Yes, I think they can and will play an important role in the fight against climate change. However, I also feel there's voices who seem to argue that they will be the magic bullet so that we can otherwise (mostly) keep going as is, and I hope the reliance on that factor doesn't lead to excessive complacency.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Have to say I don't like those questions.
If global warming is happening is it caused mostly by humans....
Ehh....even if you 100% agree climate change is a big problem and humans are the ones making it an issue you can still disagree there.
The problem is less that humans are behind all the warming and more that we are fucking up the natural cycle.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on October 27, 2021, 04:21:49 AM
Ehh....even if you 100% agree climate change is a big problem and humans are the ones making it an issue you can still disagree there.
The problem is less that humans are behind all the warming and more that we are fucking up the natural cycle.

:hmm:

And on the bold, 10, 100, 100,000 or maybe 100 million years?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Or that the oil companies are mostly responsible. Sure, they're a large part, but every sector of industry and private individuals contribute.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

The good news about that data is that even people who identify as Republicans change their view when they read non Fox (ie accurate) information.

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on October 27, 2021, 05:59:46 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 27, 2021, 04:21:49 AM

:hmm:

And on the bold, 10, 100, 100,000 or maybe 100 million years?

All of the above.
Its a finely tuned multiple gears of wildly varying sizes machine.
That we've poured marmite into.

QuoteOr that the oil companies are mostly responsible. Sure, they're a large part, but every sector of industry and private individuals contribute.
True.
Who let the coal companies off the hook?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

45% of Americans think climate change is not caused by humans but only 7% think climate change doesn't exist? :unsure:

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2021, 08:03:43 PM
45% of Americans think climate change is not caused by humans but only 7% think climate change doesn't exist? :unsure:

"Climate change is real but it's a natural phenomenon that we can't do anything about!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Once you convince people that there isn't any truth, the rest is easy.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2021, 10:20:52 PM
"Climate change is real but it's a natural phenomenon that we can't do anything about!"

Glass half full then.

mongers

Not impressed by climate change (XR) protesters breaking into Fawley oil refinery here to try and disrupt it's production.
Don't they know an oil refinery is quite a dangerous place?

garbon

They might know given they had to cut through electrified fences to get into the facility.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2021, 07:36:58 AM
They might know given they had to cut through electrified fences to get into the facility.

So they were being reckless for some greater good?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2021, 10:20:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2021, 08:03:43 PM

Don't be silly this is America were talking about.

""Climate change is real but it's all part of God's plan.  The godless heathen atheist Democrats want to stop God's plan because they worship Satan."
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson