Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Is the Great Filter like the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Should it be the Great Colander?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

As for the climate change the last warming period with a temp change of a magnitude of that we are facing (the PETM) resulted in the extinction of almost all the then existing mammalian species.  On the optimistic side the pre-change baseline temperature was considerably warmer during that episode so maybe it won't be that bad.  On the pessimistic side the PETM warming took about 20,000 - 50,000 years which we are compressing into about 100 . . .

I wouldn't expect complete extinction but there are a lot of very, VERY bad outcomes short of that.  And the level of resources we are dedicating is ludicrously small given the probability weighted future outcomes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Sure, if we continue to elect governments that take no action were are, to borrow Tyr's phrase, certainly doomed.  But we still have some time, as little as it is.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on October 20, 2021, 03:38:14 AM
Just in August the Guardian interviewed a few folks who have it in their detached homes. Seems like very hit and miss. One guy in particular ended up with a cold house and a giant electricity bill for his troubles, another had neighbours complain of the noise etc. I am trying to to reign my skepticism in on account of being ignorant on heat pumps, but a big fan heating up air before pushing it inside does not seem like a great alternative to burning gas.
air is compressed, then heated or chilled for some models.  It's energy efficient because of the compression, there is much less volume to heat, then it is "decompressed" as it is sent through your home/building.
It has limits in cold climate, but for most of the UK, it would be allright.
It requires electricity to function, but much less than an alternative electrical heating unit like a baseboard heater.
As for burning gas, well, it all depends on how you produce your electricity.  If you need to burn coal or natural gas to produce it, it won't save much.  If you can produce it with a mix of hydro, wind, solar, nuclear, than it's good.
I think gas heating would be a sensible solution for a nation like Quebec, where we could export our electricity surplus to our American neighbours.  I'd export it to Canada too, but they don't want anything to do with Quebec, they prefer to burn coal instead. ;)

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Quote from: viper37 on October 20, 2021, 04:58:40 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 20, 2021, 03:38:14 AM
Just in August the Guardian interviewed a few folks who have it in their detached homes. Seems like very hit and miss. One guy in particular ended up with a cold house and a giant electricity bill for his troubles, another had neighbours complain of the noise etc. I am trying to to reign my skepticism in on account of being ignorant on heat pumps, but a big fan heating up air before pushing it inside does not seem like a great alternative to burning gas.
air is compressed, then heated or chilled for some models.  It's energy efficient because of the compression, there is much less volume to heat, then it is "decompressed" as it is sent through your home/building.
It has limits in cold climate, but for most of the UK, it would be allright.
It requires electricity to function, but much less than an alternative electrical heating unit like a baseboard heater.
As for burning gas, well, it all depends on how you produce your electricity.  If you need to burn coal or natural gas to produce it, it won't save much.  If you can produce it with a mix of hydro, wind, solar, nuclear, than it's good.
I think gas heating would be a sensible solution for a nation like Quebec, where we could export our electricity surplus to our American neighbours.  I'd export it to Canada too, but they don't want anything to do with Quebec, they prefer to burn coal instead. ;)

Thanks.

I guess "alright" would be relative. It seems like a lot of Brits are perfectly content with keeping their homes around 18-20C. I need 22 as the bare minimum when I am not asleep.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 20, 2021, 06:04:40 PM
I guess "alright" would be relative. It seems like a lot of Brits are perfectly content with keeping their homes around 18-20C. I need 22 as the bare minimum when I am not asleep.
Are you made of money!? :o

That's too warm. Heating hasn't been on yet. We're still in the put a jumper on and get in a blanket stage of the year.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

22C is way too hot.  I would be thinking of turning on the AC at that point  :P

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

When I've been sitting still and my circulation isn't going and/ or when I'm worried I might be a bit under the weather I'll pump the heat all the way up to 21 C to get warm and toasty.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2021, 06:40:57 PM
When I've been sitting still and my circulation isn't going and/ or when I'm worried I might be a bit under the weather I'll pump the heat all the way up to 21 C to get warm and toasty.

:hmm:

Have you considered wearing more clothes?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on October 20, 2021, 06:45:28 PM
:hmm:

Have you considered wearing more clothes?

I often wear clothes, and I have a nice selection of sweaters that I often wear. But sometimes I'll revel in the power of on-demand heating to make me feel decadently warm.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on October 20, 2021, 06:04:40 PM
Thanks.

well, it depends on outdoor temperature.  Most models are sold to be good up to -10C or -15 C (5-14F).  Some have cold temperature units (like mine) and are technically rated up to -25C, although the installer told me I couldn't rely on it alone to warm me at these kind of temperatures.

That's what I meant by "allright".  It depends on the outdoor temps and I have no idea what they are in Great Britain.

As with anything, it's never a universal truth, and it still requires good insulation, and if the winter temperature is frequently below -15C, you may need a supplemental unit.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2021, 06:16:06 PM
I keep indoor temp at about this, 21.5-22C during winter.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on October 20, 2021, 07:04:54 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2021, 06:16:06 PM
I keep indoor temp at about this, 21.5-22C during winter.

You need to get better at virtue signaling.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on October 20, 2021, 09:07:37 PM
You need to get better at virtue signaling.

... but no matter how hard we try, none of us will get to your exalted level :(