Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 20, 2021, 09:04:49 AM
No, it refers to the amount of doubt I have, which is high.

Then maybe you should make sure that you preface your statements of unsupported opinion as statements of unsupported opinion.  Otherwise, you invite us to interpret everything you say as merely unsupported personal opinion.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on October 20, 2021, 08:41:54 AM
I wouldn't say we are at the apocalypse but we are certainly past the point of no return.
We either become a space faring civilization and soon or the chance is blown and we are forever trapped on earth.

Certainly means there is no doubt. You may have good reason to be pessimistic but we are a long way from certainly being past the point of no return.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2021, 11:43:20 AM
I wouldn't say we are at the apocalypse but we are certainly past the point of no return.
We either become a space faring civilization and soon or the chance is blown and we are forever trapped on earth.

Certainly means there is no doubt. You may have good reason to be pessimistic but we are a long way from certainly being past the point of no return.

Imagine civilization collapses tomorrow- do you really think theres enough easily accessible resources, primarily coal and oil come to mind though others too, about to start again from scratch in the future?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

If you are environmentally conscious, you are just a better class of people genetically, says repulsive study jumping to silly conclusions:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/20/your-green-credentials-may-be-linked-to-your-genes-scientists-say

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on October 20, 2021, 12:55:55 PM
If you are environmentally conscious, you are just a better class of people genetically, says repulsive study jumping to silly conclusions:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/20/your-green-credentials-may-be-linked-to-your-genes-scientists-say
What exactly is so repulsive about it? :unsure: I don't get the vitriol.

Jacob

"Dubiously rigorous study may indicate that people like you and me are genetically superior and are at peak of evolutionary outcomes."

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2021, 12:58:05 PM

What exactly is so repulsive about it? :unsure: I don't get the vitriol.

what Jacob said.

DGuller

I still don't get it.  Which part of the article could lead to that kind of derogatory paraphrasing? :unsure:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on October 20, 2021, 10:51:22 AM

Then maybe you should make sure that you preface your statements of unsupported opinion as statements of unsupported opinion.  Otherwise, you invite us to interpret everything you say as merely unsupported personal opinion.

Just like everyone else in the thread. But sure, go find some crackpot saying mankind's extinction is imminent.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on October 20, 2021, 11:53:27 AM

Imagine civilization collapses tomorrow- do you really think theres enough easily accessible resources, primarily coal and oil come to mind though others too, about to start again from scratch in the future?

What are you talking about?  Why would I imagine that civilization collapses tomorrow?

HVC

if things go bad enough they we drop to a pre-industrial age we have more to worry about then finding oil to restart
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2021, 01:57:59 PM

What are you talking about?  Why would I imagine that civilization collapses tomorrow?

Because Berkut is worried humanity, or at least our ability to have a society that can into space, is on the chopping block.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 20, 2021, 03:03:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2021, 01:57:59 PM

Because Berkut is worried humanity, or at least our ability to have a society that can into space, is on the chopping block.

Then the same response goes to Berkut, there are definitely reasons to be pessimistic, but we are certainly not there yet.

The discussion about whether it is beneficial to devote resources to send humans to live off of the Earth is a whole other discussion.  My view is that thinking distracts people from the brutal truth that we have only one habitatable place to live and we need to protect it.

The Minsky Moment

I'm generally pro-legalization but would recommend against mixing your doubt with THC.

FWIW we entered the Great Filter around 1945, been living on borrowed time ever since.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2021, 04:05:07 PM
I'm generally pro-legalization but would recommend against mixing your doubt with THC.

FWIW we entered the Great Filter around 1945, been living on borrowed time ever since.

I don't think most people use filters of any size with THC products.