Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 12, 2021, 06:14:49 PM
Apparently the last three nuclear groups who'd been applying have had their applications to attend COP26 denied. Feels a little bit of a problem that the world's second largest source of non-carbon emitting energy (after hydro) is basically shut out of a big conference on reducing carbon emissions and energy transition :mellow:

It's not the entire solution, but I feel like it has to be a part of it.

I am not sure it is part of the solution though.  The time lines we are facing are too short for the time it takes to get production of those energy sources up and running.  COP26 is all about what can be done in the short time we have left to avert disaster.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 12, 2021, 06:52:33 PM
I am not sure it is part of the solution though.  The time lines we are facing are too short for the time it takes to get production of those energy sources up and running.  COP26 is all about what can be done in the short time we have left to avert disaster.
That might be right - I think it definitely is here. There's a few nuclear plants that will come online (allegedly) in the next 5-6 years in the UK - but that's particularly necessary because others are being decommissioned in the same time frame :ph34r:

But I think it's quite important for China and India especially - who are building lots of nuclear. I could be wrong (and their plans project a rise in emissions until 2030 - which is "allowed" as developing countries) but I suspect that moving from coal to nuclear is a big part of their plans.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 12, 2021, 06:58:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 12, 2021, 06:52:33 PM
That might be right - I think it definitely is here. There's a few nuclear plants that will come online (allegedly) in the next 5-6 years in the UK - but that's particularly necessary because others are being decommissioned in the same time frame :ph34r:

But I think it's quite important for China and India especially - who are building lots of nuclear. I could be wrong (and their plans project a rise in emissions until 2030 - which is "allowed" as developing countries) but I suspect that moving from coal to nuclear is a big part of their plans.

Right, I was not thinking about China and India - with that in mind, it makes no sense to keep nuclear out of the conference.

viper37

43C with humidex factor today. Way too hot for me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

It is so weird because we have had an unusually cool summer here in Texas while Canada seems to be frying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 12, 2021, 07:03:22 PM

Right, I was not thinking about China and India

Funnily enough I think that describes a lot of people's views on fighting climate change, especially when it comes judging how possible it is to keep the world to those super-ambitious goals.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on August 13, 2021, 01:48:56 AM

Funnily enough I think that describes a lot of people's views on fighting climate change, especially when it comes judging how possible it is to keep the world to those super-ambitious goals.

I was not thinking about the nuclear projects already underway there.  I don't think it is accurate that China and India are not being considered for the very modest goals now being considered.  Quite the opposite, China is showing the way regarding moving toward greener energy sources.

The real problem is the people who think the goals are super ambitious.  Those people need to realize time is running out.  If they think the changes we need to make now are dramatic, they will be in for a real shock for how dramatic their life is going to change after we pass 1.5C

grumbler

People are like the archetypical frog in the pot of heating water.  Lacking a moment of crisis, it is hard to get them to understand that change for the worse is steadily occurring.  When the crisis comes, it will be extremely costly to recover from, but I don't see decisive action short of a crisis.  I wish I did.  Be ready to look back in regret a whole lot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 13, 2021, 05:12:59 PM

I was not thinking about the nuclear projects already underway there.  I don't think it is accurate that China and India are not being considered for the very modest goals now being considered.  Quite the opposite, China is showing the way regarding moving toward greener energy sources.

The real problem is the people who think the goals are super ambitious.  Those people need to realize time is running out.  If they think the changes we need to make now are dramatic, they will be in for a real shock for how dramatic their life is going to change after we pass 1.5C
We can't seem to convince people to get themself a vaccine and protect others.  How can we hope to tackle such a huge issue with a so distant benefit that none of us would see it in our own lives?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on August 13, 2021, 06:37:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 13, 2021, 05:12:59 PM

We can't seem to convince people to get themself a vaccine and protect others.  How can we hope to tackle such a huge issue with a so distant benefit that none of us would see it in our own lives?

I think I tried to make that point somewhere.

The entire response to COVID makes me completely in despair about climate change. It is hopeless.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

https://www.noaa.gov/news/its-official-july-2021-was-earths-hottest-month-on-record

July 2021 is the hottest month on record. Previous hottest months were July 2016, 2019 and 2020 in a three way tie.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2021, 08:14:38 PM
The entire response to COVID makes me completely in despair about climate change. It is hopeless.
Individual behavior is not as relevant to beating climate change as it is to beating Covid. Greenhouse gas emissions can be overwhelmingly attributed to some large industries which can be regulated much easier than individuals. That said with their current lobbyism, it does not look likely.

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on August 13, 2021, 11:48:32 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2021, 08:14:38 PM
Individual behavior is not as relevant to beating climate change as it is to beating Covid. Greenhouse gas emissions can be overwhelmingly attributed to some large industries which can be regulated much easier than individuals. That said with their current lobbyism, it does not look likely.

you need popular support, and a willingness to make sacrifices on the individual front:
- pay more for your houses so they are better insulated
- renounce air conditionning as it contributes to global warming
- pay more for your car
- pay more for fuel
- pay more for heating

Since we are so late in acting, the sacrifices will be much harder to make.  And the resistance will be tenfold.