Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Before/after:

Reverse view: this quarry probably made it so the water could get into the ground more easily, leading to the destruction.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Wow. Never heard of quarries screwing things in this way.
Isn't it a standard thing to do with them when done to turn them into wetlands? :ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on July 16, 2021, 04:39:51 AM
Asked about an earlier exit from coal generated power, Laschet said, "You don't just change policy because of a day like this."

What kind of day does one need to have?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on July 16, 2021, 04:57:37 AM
@Syt and German speakers:
https://mobile.twitter.com/SoerenLorensen/status/1415417178132783105
I see my German is still stuck at Rammstein's level.  Couldn't understand anything. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

A lot more wood in that rubble than I'd expect. So many barrels.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on July 16, 2021, 08:50:41 AM

What's the deal with all the plastic bottles?  Did a recycling center or bottling plant get hit?

My condolences Germany.  Looks bad.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 16, 2021, 05:36:29 PM
Asked about an earlier exit from coal generated power, Laschet said, "You don't just change policy because of a day like this."

Fukushima disaster day-style, since it was enough to alter German energy policy.  :smarty:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2021, 03:07:38 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 16, 2021, 08:50:41 AM

What's the deal with all the plastic bottles?  Did a recycling center or bottling plant get hit?

My condolences Germany.  Looks bad.

woops, wrong picture  :Embarrass:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 17, 2021, 06:46:09 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 16, 2021, 05:36:29 PM

Fukushima disaster day-style, since it was enough to alter German energy policy.  :smarty:
Yeah - and if ever there's an incentive to vote Green (I understand there's been some issues with their candidate - including the standard German academic plagiarism scandal). It's likely they'll be in government and I think you probably want them to be in as strong a position as possible.

Also - surely these floods are in NRW are there any implications for Laschet in that?
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Southern Bavaria and Saxony were hit tonight, big floods there and some areas cut off. Not yet clear how bad it is.

Sheilbh

Awful pictures of flooding in China - Henan province at least but I think other provinces too. Particularly grim ones of a subway being flooded so everyone has to stand up to keep their heads above water.

I won't link because the thread I saw also included images (with black boxes) of people who'd clearly died :(
Let's bomb Russia!