Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on July 09, 2021, 06:29:05 PM
Man,the 'half the world' is burning and it doesn't get a mention in now, have 'we' accepted it as the new normal?  <_<

Pretty much yep. 

There are a large number of wildfires in BC atm.  A decade ago this would have been headline type stuff.  But we all recognize it is what we can expect because of climate change.  That is not suggest that people, other than the climate change deniers, don't think we should do something to stop the warming of the planet.  Its just that the effects of climate change are not particularly news worthy now.  We all know it is happening.

Hopefully that widespread recognition will translate into political action.

Berkut

The new narrative is that climate changes, sure, but humans have little or nothing to do with it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on July 09, 2021, 09:01:34 PM
The new narrative is that climate changes, sure, but humans have little or nothing to do with it.

Isn't it true that based on solar conditions we should expect the Earth to be cooling right now?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2021, 09:29:02 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 09, 2021, 09:01:34 PM

Isn't it true that based on solar conditions we should expect the Earth to be cooling right now?
yes.
Maybe.

There is a study about Earth's magnetic field which could impact global warming, as in, make the Earth warmer than it should be.
But strictly speaking of solar output, we are supposed to be receiving less solar energy than the average.  Would that make a zero-sum or would it still make the Earth cooler, I'm not certain.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2021, 09:36:48 PM
Hottest June on record for the US.

Good.  The Northerners won't feel compelled to invade Florida's beaches then :P

EDIT:  :whistle:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Jacob

The EU has unveiled their climate strategy, which is aimed to reduce CO2 emissions by 55% by 2030 (compared to 1990, with a 24% reduction already achieved).

By 2035, there will be no sales of CO2 emitting cars in the EU according to the plan.

There's lots of other stuff in there too, I'm just beginning to read up on it.

Maladict

It is very ambitious, I like it.
However, it needs a unanimous vote from all member states to pass, which seems exceedingly unlikely.

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on July 14, 2021, 11:54:18 AM
However, it needs a unanimous vote from all member states to pass, which seems exceedingly unlikely.

But why though? There are no big oil and gas producers in the EU.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2021, 12:09:13 PM
Quote from: Maladict on July 14, 2021, 11:54:18 AM

But why though? There are no big oil and gas producers in the EU.

Sure there are. But the problem is political, eastern Europe is the EU's GOP.

Crazy_Ivan80

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on July 14, 2021, 12:27:03 PM

They are broke and corrupt though. Pay them off.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2021, 01:07:49 PM
Quote from: Maladict on July 14, 2021, 12:27:03 PM

They are broke and corrupt though. Pay them off.

It would be cheaper and easier just to clandestinely fund Hexit and Pexit campaigns and let them leave in a huff.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

NYT has apparently published a nice tool.  It's a behind a paywall and my usual tricks don't work, but for subscribers or those who manage to access it:
How much hotter is your hometown since your birth year

Although not as precise as the other tool, this one shows a map of Earth with the relative temperature changes since 1894.  Blue is colder than 1894, red is warmer (duh!).
https://climate.nasa.gov/interactives/climate-time-machine