Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 26, 2021, 07:32:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2021, 02:16:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 26, 2021, 01:47:16 PM
Valmy the article states those things.  They are not my assumptions.  Don't go full internet asshat on me.  I was talking about the Seattle Vancouver Run.

Oh for fuck sake dude. I said those were assumptions, not your assumptions.

QuoteYou disagreed with my post.

When did I disagree with any of your posts? I posted something, you asked for clarification, which I provided. Then you started attacking my reading comprehension. I don't recall ever disagreeing with anything you said, except for the reading comprehension part.

Assumptions?  There is pretty good data on how long it takes to drive from Seattle to Vancouver.  Go full languish and make your argument to your last breath, no matter how much you need to tie yourself in a knot doing it.

Valmy, this is as close to a concession on CC's part as you will get.  Take it and run.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2021, 11:55:22 PM
Assumptions?  There is pretty good data on how long it takes to drive from Seattle to Vancouver.  Go full languish and make your argument to your last breath, no matter how much you need to tie yourself in a knot doing it.

Dude I am not even disagreeing with anything you are saying. What would I be making an argument about?

Don't try to comprehend, just bail.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 27, 2021, 08:26:40 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2021, 02:16:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 26, 2021, 01:47:16 PM
Valmy the article states those things.  They are not my assumptions.  Don't go full internet asshat on me.  I was talking about the Seattle Vancouver Run.

Oh for fuck sake dude. I said those were assumptions, not your assumptions.

QuoteYou disagreed with my post.

When did I disagree with any of your posts? I posted something, you asked for clarification, which I provided. Then you started attacking my reading comprehension. I don't recall ever disagreeing with anything you said, except for the reading comprehension part.

Valmy, this is as close to a concession on CC's part as you will get.  Take it and run.

How cute, that you repeat comments made about you.  Some sort of fetish?

HVC

Texas Republican, Louie Gohmert, comes up with a unique way to tackle climate change. Change the earths orbit  :wacko:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/louie-gohmert-moon-orbit-nasa-climate-1180092/
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on June 10, 2021, 08:35:54 AM
Texas Republican, Louie Gohmert, comes up with a unique way to tackle climate change. Change the earths orbit  :wacko:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/louie-gohmert-moon-orbit-nasa-climate-1180092/
Wasn't this the plot of a Chinese movie?
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Gohmert is one of the stupidest people in Texas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Even more funny that he thinks that the US Forest Service could take that on.  :D

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 10, 2021, 03:43:04 PM

Even more funny that he thinks that the US Forest Service could take that on.  :D

Not if he thinks that they can grow trees tall enough to push the moon back into its proper orbit.

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Geoengineering concepts like this and more direct methods like carbon air capture are still just meme-tier at this stage. :hmm: For instance the carbon recapture plant being constructed here will annually sequester 4000 metric tons of carbon dioxide once it's up and running. According to this calculator https://www.epa.gov/energy/greenhouse-gas-equivalencies-calculator that's the annual carbon emission output of around 900 passenger cars. In the grand scheme of things that's nothing, just proof of concept really. Yet these technologies are always just around the corner and have been for 20 years it feels.

40.000.000 metric tons of carbon dioxide captured and petrified into basaltic rock annually would be like 10 coal power plants, small but at least noticeable on a global scale.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Berkut

My very general feeling is that if we can scale up shit that messes up the planet enough to make a noticeable impact, we can scale up the stuff that cleans it up as well.

I guess that isn't strictly true. The Law of Entropy does say its a lot easier to break things then it is to fix them....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

Can we send Louie Gohmert into a changed orbit?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Annual days of 25°C or more per decade in Germany:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

I was recently reading a very good book on the Comanche empire, and it was quite alarming to read how rapidly an entire society can collapse when the environmental conditions it was built on change drastically. There are few to no direct parallels of course, we have a much better understanding of why and what's happening than they did with the disappearing buffalos, but we are not doing much more to prevent it than they did/could.

mongers

Man,the 'half the world' is burning and it doesn't get a mention in now, have 'we' accepted it as the new normal?  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"