Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

$1.2 million isn't going to buy a lot of lawtalker time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on May 07, 2021, 08:12:25 AM
QuoteWyoming stands up for coal with threat to sue states that refuse to buy it
*Snip*

Haroldson said phasing out coal would risk the sort of disastrous power blackouts suffered by Texas in February. "It is time we start truly caring about the future," he said.

*Snip*

That's an interesting choice of words
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on May 07, 2021, 08:12:25 AM
QuoteWyoming stands up for coal with threat to sue states that refuse to buy it
Republican governor says measure sends message that Wyoming is 'prepared to bring litigation to protect our interests'

Wyoming is faced by a transition to renewable energy that's gathering pace across America, but it has now come up with a novel and controversial plan to protect its mining industry – sue other states that refuse to take its coal.

A new state law has created a $1.2m fund to be used by Wyoming's governor to take legal action against other states that opt to power themselves with clean energy such as solar and wind, in order to meet targets to tackle the climate crisis, rather than burn Wyoming's coal.

Wyoming is America's largest coal-producing state, digging up nearly 40% of the coal produced nationally each year. The state is heavily dependent upon revenues from mining to run basic services and as it produces 14 times more energy than it consumes, selling coal to other states is a vital source of income.

The measure sends a message that Wyoming is "prepared to bring litigation to protect her interests," said a spokesman for Mark Gordon, the Republican governor of the deeply conservative state, which strongly backed Donald Trump in the last two presidential elections.
(...)
"We have seen a spike in states trying to block Wyoming's access to consumer markets to advance their political agenda," said Jeremy Haroldson, a Republican state legislator who introduced the new law.

Fellow Republicans previously proposed banning the closure of any coal plants in the state. Haroldson said phasing out coal would risk the sort of disastrous power blackouts suffered by Texas in February. "It is time we start truly caring about the future," he said.

Legal experts have said the new strategy is on shaky ground.

I'll forward this to the Quebec government. Maybe we can sue US States into accepting our green energy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

It is always good to know the other side is not prepared to appropriately fund their litigation.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2021, 09:59:53 AM
I'll forward this to the Quebec government. Maybe we can sue US States into accepting our green energy.
they already do.  It's the Canadian provinces that won't have anything to do with the seperatist devils.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Maladict

Seattle to Vancouver doesn't make a lot of sense given the low speed, but island hops certainly do. Very cool

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on May 26, 2021, 07:48:40 AM
Seattle to Vancouver doesn't make a lot of sense given the low speed, but island hops certainly do. Very cool

Border crossings can sometimes make sense if border is backed up... I think it was the first time I went tod go to Vancouver by car.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2021, 08:43:15 AM

Border crossings can sometimes make sense if border is backed up... I think it was the first time I went tod go to Vancouver by car.

The two times I crossed the US-Canada border on public transport were pretty bad, now that I think of it.

Maladict

Dutch court orders Shell to reduce their CO2 ouput by 45% before 2030. They also have to make substantial effort towards 45% reduction of CO2 emitted through the use of their products.
Shell will appeal but the high court upheld the earlier, similar verdict against the Dutch government. This might set an interesting precedent.

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on May 26, 2021, 10:00:46 AM
Dutch court orders Shell to reduce their CO2 ouput by 45% before 2030. They also have to make substantial effort towards 45% reduction of CO2 emitted through the use of their products.
Shell will appeal but the high court upheld the earlier, similar verdict against the Dutch government. This might set an interesting precedent.

Will they sell off part of their operations?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Maladict on May 26, 2021, 10:00:46 AM

How the hell is that supposed to work?  At it's heart it's an oil company.  It's just supposed to sell less oil?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa