Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 16, 2020, 12:45:55 PM
Don't worry - surely filthy New York City is as bad or worse.

Checking . . .  30.

We're nearly 10x that again. :weep:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

I guess time of day matters a lot, because as I check Edmonton now we're at 55.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on September 16, 2020, 11:14:32 AM
AQI is only 191 this morning!! :w00t: :yeah:  :showoff:

We're just unhealthy!! :wub:

Currently 160 - we join you in being a just unhealthy for the moment.

The last two weeks have been the summer we missed in August, would have had sunny skies with warm temperatures.  Instead we get this nuclear winter dread.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2020, 04:46:11 PM
I guess time of day matters a lot, because as I check Edmonton now we're at 55.

It's been worst at night, from sundown to sunup. I'm not sure why. That being said, we're over 300 now and heading steadily toward 400.

PDH

Right before the lightning storm that started all the California wildfires along the coast it was hot, hot hot.  Records set, over 100/38 in Santa Cruz.  Then the smoke rolled in and changed the weather.  The Marine Layer Fog returned and mixed with the smoke, the temps dropped to daytime highs in the mid 60s/18 since, with just a few warmer days.  The last two days the sun has been visible as more than a red orb, the Marine Layer has gone back out to sea, and temps are in the upper 70s/25 again. 

I am ready to be done with this, but really, we are just in the midst of the wildfire season.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on September 16, 2020, 04:55:33 PM
Right before the lightning storm that started all the California wildfires along the coast it was hot, hot hot.  Records set, over 100/38 in Santa Cruz.  Then the smoke rolled in and changed the weather.  The Marine Layer Fog returned and mixed with the smoke, the temps dropped to daytime highs in the mid 60s/18 since, with just a few warmer days.  The last two days the sun has been visible as more than a red orb, the Marine Layer has gone back out to sea, and temps are in the upper 70s/25 again. 

I am ready to be done with this, but really, we are just in the midst of the wildfire season.

Yeah, down there it's terrifying. The rains will start here in a few weeks, in theory. Usually end of September, early October. For you guys... damn. :weep:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

Quote from: merithyn on September 16, 2020, 05:48:14 PM
Yeah, down there it's terrifying. The rains will start here in a few weeks, in theory. Usually end of September, early October. For you guys... damn. :weep:

We might get some rain by the end of next month - but even in a normal year the rains don't start until november, and it hasn't been normal for a while.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on September 16, 2020, 06:14:25 PM
292 here

Yeah. I've a few friends up there complaining about our fires. :glare:

We're nearing 400 again now. My head is throbbing, and I haven't slept in two nights from it.

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on September 16, 2020, 08:17:42 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 16, 2020, 06:14:25 PM
292 here

Yeah. I've a few friends up there complaining about our fires. :glare:

We're nearing 400 again now. My head is throbbing, and I haven't slept in two nights from it.

It's like Fallout down there.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

HisMajestyBOB

We had a few 400+ days in Shanghai from air pollution. That sucked, but it was for just a week or so, then it went back to the usual 50-150.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on September 16, 2020, 08:17:42 PM
that sucks :(
I hope it gets better soon.  Kinda hard to escape the smoke of such a large fire and still be able to work.

If you could work remotely, maybe try some friend out of State, if you have any.  You will be exhausted quickly from living in these conditions and if you're still suffering from asthma, it certainly won't do you any good :(

depending on your medication, maybe you could increase your dosage temporarily to compensate for the smoke.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

I do work remotely, and leaving the state has come up. But I have animals here, too, so I would have to drive. Nearest space with decent air quality is 9-10 hours away.

The convenient care doctor gave me prednisone, which has helped. I'm loathe to take it too often or for too long, but that can't be worse than asphyxia due to breathing wood smoke.

If the air quality doesn't improve by tomorrow (after the rain tonight), I'm going to look into throwing a suitcase, my dog and cat, and my work computer into my car and driving the 2000 miles home. They'd stay there until I move in March, which would kill me, but there's no point in doing that twice. :(

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?