Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

We have had orange skies for 5 straight days yet, dark looming smoke/fog with just a faint orange ball in the sky.  As I have said elsewhere I have been expecting two small gentlemen to go by looking for a volcano to chuck a ring into.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

From the A's stadium yesterday. This looks to be pregame, so maybe around noon (first pitch was 12:40 pm)?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

You can't just play a game on the surface of Mars.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

It's smoky everywhere right now. My apartment isn't air conditioned, so we have to leave the windows open. They open sideways and are four-feet tall, so window air conditioners are out. Right now I have a box fan in the bottom with a furnace air filter taped to it, and another furnace air filter taped above it. That leaves only about 18" open with a screen. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing. There are no air purifiers left. It's also 85f so closing the windows aren't an option.

The sky is a gray yellow. It looks like there's a perpetual eclipse. (I have a phobia of eclipses.) I try not to look outside. I try not to breathe too deeply. I was wearing a cloth mask inside until I was told it doesn't help with smoke particles. Now I just try not to breathe much. I'm using my inhaler every couple of hours, drinking hot coffee like crazy, and showering far too often. So far, no ER visits required for my asthma, but that's probably sheer stubbornness rather than good sense.

The fires are still spreading. People are optimistic that this will stop before it hits the suburbs, but I'm not sure why they think that. Rain isn't due until Tuesday, and that's a long way away. Air quality is "Very Hazardous" in my area, so even if I didn't have asthma, I'd be struggling, I think. It's supposed to stay that way until the rain comes. So, you know.

If I get COVID now, I am probably dead. Katmai, you get Kepler. Seedy gets Tycho.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grey Fox

Their are vertical A/C units.

But that's a small comfort, stay safe.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

PDH

It looked like that here too last week.  Today there is more sun, but still the AQ is nasty.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

AQ here is 375 right now. Bad enough for those who are healthy. For folks like me, it's... yeah...

PDH

The only thing saving Santa Cruz is that the smoke creates weird weather patterns that leads to the coastal layer of cold fog coming in more - and the heavy mist brings down some of the ash and keeping it cold enough that we can keep the windows shut (64f/18c temps).
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I had a moment very much like that pic in the summer of '94, which was a record year for forest fires over here. The forested areas near my hometown were burning, my parents (and a lot of my friends' parents) had voluntereed to help the firefighting efforts, but me and my friends met at the football pitch like every afternoon. You could see the fires from the football pitch, but damn if we'd stop playing just for some fire  :lol:

merithyn