Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2019, 11:19:04 AM
I think it is intellectually dishonest to include the last election since the Liberals promised to be a lot more active on climate change policy.  They also promised to bring in PR which would meant the Greens would have had a greater say in Parliament this time round.  They broke both those promises in dramatic fashion.
A guy hits his wife.  He sends her to the hospital.  He apoligizes, promise to never do it again, she does not press charges, she takes him back.
That's how I see a repeated offender, I mean, a Liberal voter.  ;)
Trudeau Sr promised Quebec Canada would change in 1980.  I haven't seen that yet.  Chrétien promised Canada would change in 1995, I haven't seen that yet.  Chrétien promised he'd abolished the GST and replace Canada's helicopter.  In 1993 and 1997.  Did we ever abolish the tax? Did a Liberal govt ever replaced our aging Sea Kings or did we wait until a new Conservative govt took the reign of the country?
Trudeau the younger promised he'd get tough on the environment, unlike his Conservative opponents, destroyer of planets.  What did he do?  He kept the same targets and didn't even try to achieve that objective.
Now he says with a new tax, and nothing else so far, carbon emissions will magically go down by themselves.  And that is simply untrue, it requires a lot more than that now.

The Liberals, every since the Trudeau Sr era, have been very strong on words, short on actions.  Except when it times to go hard on Quebec, to punish these truly horrible, evil beings, who insists on preserving their cultural identity in the face of Anglo-Saxon supremacy.  There, they always do their utmost to screw with our province, not mincing words and acting as if the State belonged to them.

So far, after 4 years of unopposed reign, I have seen nothing to convince me the Liberals are doing something different.
If you truly think the Liberals will act on their promise of doing something meaningful, other than simply taxing us, I believe I have a bridge to sell near Quebec city.  Requires a bit of paint, but is apparently is very good shape, according to the morons who sold it for 1$ without any guarantee of maintenance.  Sound investment, imho.  As sound as putting Faith in the promise of a Liberal government.

No, I was mostly thinking about the idiots who claim they understand the science but vote Conservative anyway
.Sure, I got that.  But it's not like his vote would make a difference.  And I did pinch my nose voting for the Greens.  They had no real economic plan for the country and their environmental platform was filled with holes.  After so many years talking of the issue, coming so short on seriousness just demonstrate that 'Greeners' need to walk the real life, and stop living in daydreamingland.

If you put both groups together, those who voted Liberal this time and those who voted Conservative, you quickly realize we are pretty much screwed.
I said we were screwed a while back.  No surprise here that I do not disagree with you on this.

I also said the environment is not as important as most people claim.  One party promised to do next to nothing and gets 1/3 of the vote.  One party did next to nothing for 4 years and got another third of the vote.

Might have been you, might have been another Canuck, said at the last election it was not so much as voting FOR as voting AGAINST to justify their individual vote. 

I believe this is what happenned at this election, for a lot of people:  Lots of people absolutely did not want the Liberals back in power, or in worst case scenario, they wanted the official opposition to be the party who stood the most chance of well, actually opposing them, and forcing the govt to listen to them once in a while.

Lots of people absolutely did not want the Conservatives back in power, or in worst case scenario, they wanted the official opposition to be the party who stood the most chance of well, actually opposing them, and forcing the govt to listen to them once in a while.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

and yet, you vote for the racist forced birth people.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 30, 2019, 11:01:14 AM
People are free to have their opinion on any subject they want.  A political party is mainly a vehicle to advance such ideas that are freely expressed within the vehicle.  Once the driver have made its mind, we follow, or we get out.

For now, it seems, that the official party line has nothing to do with forced birth, ever since the party's foundation.

As for racistness, I don't see any racist actions by the previous government, or any proposals that might be construed as racist by this current incarnation of the party.  In as much as I know, the truly racist people were asked to leave, contrary to other parties, where francophobia and Quebec bashing is encouraged and is seen as a good way to enter a leader's grace.  Why do you hate your people so much?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

I thought it was Alberta and the west the Libs hated.  :D That central Canada - including Quebec - was their power base that they favored over the rest of the nation.

Albertains claim Trudeau is busy favouring Quebec over them:

Quote"I think the federal government has a specific hate on" for Alberta, Moser said. "We have a federal government that wants to choke the Alberta economy for its own political reasons."
Long the malcontents of the Canadian confederation, Albertans complain the province's oil bounty is spread to other provinces through equalisation payments.

Trudeau's home province has been the largest recipient of such payments – a fact not lost on Albertans, who note that Quebec opposes pipelines, even as tankers transport oil down the St Lawrence River.

Amid the perceptions of antipathy from the federal government, some in the province have even revived the idea of separating from Canada. "I'd support it," George said. "But I'll hate it every step of the way."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/16/alberta-canada-election-justin-trudeau-oil

My gods, Canadian politics is infecting other threads ...

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2019, 03:22:24 PM

:menace:

Maybe it's for the best.  When you look at the madness going on in the US or UK, they should want to have our political system instead!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2019, 03:26:47 PM

Maybe it's for the best.  When you look at the madness going on in the US or UK, they should want to have our political system instead!

Where we quite sanely if endlessly quarrel over which province our federal government party hates more?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2019, 03:28:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2019, 03:26:47 PM

Where we quite sanely if endlessly quarrel over which province our federal government party hates more?  :D

Precisely!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2019, 03:44:20 PM
Precisely!

I think the only reasonable conclusion is that the Liberals hate everyone.

Except of course for Toronto. No Canadian, coast to coast, could possibly hate Toronto, as it is a city beloved by all.  :Canuck: :goodboy:

dps

Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2019, 01:55:45 AM
Chrétien promised he'd abolished the GST and replace Canada's helicopter. 

Only 1 helicopter in the whole country?

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on October 30, 2019, 05:14:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2019, 01:55:45 AM
Chrétien promised he'd abolished the GST and replace Canada's helicopter. 

Only 1 helicopter in the whole country?

By this point - pretty much one fully operational

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2019, 03:15:35 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 30, 2019, 11:01:14 AM
People are free to have their opinion on any subject they want.  A political party is mainly a vehicle to advance such ideas that are freely expressed within the vehicle.  Once the driver have made its mind, we follow, or we get out.

For now, it seems, that the official party line has nothing to do with forced birth, ever since the party's foundation.

As for racistness, I don't see any racist actions by the previous government, or any proposals that might be construed as racist by this current incarnation of the party.  In as much as I know, the truly racist people were asked to leave, contrary to other parties, where francophobia and Quebec bashing is encouraged and is seen as a good way to enter a leader's grace.  Why do you hate your people so much?

I wrote people, not party.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Well half or more than half of people in nearly all states and provinces agree.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2019, 02:42:41 AM
Well half or more than half of people in nearly all states and provinces agree.

43% of Americans don't think humans cause climate change, and it is upwards of a third even in the most progressive states. It's bleak as hell.