Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on October 24, 2019, 09:03:08 AM
I have a hard time seeing climate change as a civilization killer.

I guess it depends. I don't think it will get worse than the fall of Rome. Was that a killer of civilisation, or just the same civilisation changing?

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2019, 10:17:19 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 24, 2019, 09:03:08 AM
I have a hard time seeing climate change as a civilization killer.

I guess it depends. I don't think it will get worse than the fall of Rome. Was that a killer of civilisation, or just the same civilisation changing?

Today's civilization is global which I think makes direct comparisons difficult.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 24, 2019, 10:07:15 AM
Sure, Marx was not popular because you say so... though the First International based on his wrks had 8 million members by 1872, but that is "not popular" because... reasons.

I guess they really don't teach this stuff in US schools.  The First International was not 8 million Marxists.  Far from it.  That organization was not "based on his works".  By 1872 he was gaining prominence and the Communist Manifesto was beginning to gain favour and a following.  Prior to that Marx had been pretty much a failure and kept financially viable by his good friend Engels.  There was a great deal of opposition within the left to Marx.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 24, 2019, 12:06:11 PM
Sure, Marx was not popular because you say so... though the First International based on his wrks had 8 million members by 1872, but that is "not popular" because... reasons.

I guess they really don't teach this stuff in US schools.  The First International was not 8 million Marxists.  Far from it.  That organization was not "based on his works".  By 1872 he was gaining prominence and the Communist Manifesto was beginning to gain favour and a following.  Prior to that Marx had been pretty much a failure and kept financially viable by his good friend Engels.  There was a great deal of opposition within the left to Marx.

Man why do you always have to attack the US?

Anyway here is my careful analysis of the First International:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2019, 12:15:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 24, 2019, 12:06:11 PM

Man why do you always have to attack the US?

Because the US population is notoriously ill informed about matters involving geography and history beyond their borders.  Plus we have a US teacher employed by a prestigious US private high school who thought the First International was based on the writings of Marx.  Seems a good illustration of the stereotypical American.

The cartoon was great  :D

garbon

@V - Because he is a dick. He may be our dick but that doesn't make him less of a dick. Actually probably more so.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

I don't think Karl Marx is our dick, in any sense.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 24, 2019, 12:40:17 PM
Because the US population is notoriously ill informed about matters involving geography and history beyond their borders.
I'm not convinced Canadians are that superior.  We are fewer online though, that is a fact.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 24, 2019, 03:27:08 PM
Because the US population is notoriously ill informed about matters involving geography and history beyond their borders.
I'm not convinced Canadians are that superior.  We are fewer online though, that is a fact.

No claim Canadians are superior.  But an inference that it is not taught in US schools because I was talking to a US school teacher.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 24, 2019, 03:44:51 PM

No claim Canadians are superior.  But an inference that it is not taught in US schools because I was talking to a US school teacher.
phrasing it "Because the US population is notoriously ill informed" infers Americans are inferior to ROTW, therefore Canadians are superior to Americans.

Not too sure about this.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

The Canucks I've talked to on the subject knew a shitload of American geography.

Maladict

Quote from: viper37 on October 25, 2019, 01:38:02 AM

phrasing it "Because the US population is notoriously ill informed" infers Americans are inferior to ROTW, therefore Canadians are superior to Americans.

Not too sure about this.

I don't think he meant every single American is more ill informed than ROTW, but on average. Canadians could still be inferior to inferior Americans.

viper37

grumbler

The inference you miss completely is that of the fin de siècle:

Quote1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of the close of the 19th century and especially its literary and artistic climate of sophistication, world-weariness, and fashionable despair
(my bold).  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fin%20de%20si%C3%A8cle

Your arguments were that it was not true that "The Victorians thought the end was imminent" and that "Marx was not popular during that time period."  I presented evidence to the contrary, and you went the ad hom route.  I'm not going to say that the difference between my presentation of evidence and your presentation of ad homs are due to nationality, of course.  Those kinds of generalizations are moronic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!