Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on October 17, 2019, 07:18:24 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 17, 2019, 02:47:29 AM
Yeah, Canning Town first thing in the morning; let's have a couple of middle class twats make the minimum wage workforce's life even worse  :mad:

Get yourself down to Westminster and the City you stupid bastards  :lol:

If people against climate change action wanted a way to discredit the XR movement, this would be a very good way of doing it.   :secret:

:rolleyes:

Yeah the XR movement has truly proven itself to be devoid of silly people and ideas, NO WAY this was their doing.

mongers

Train drivers' union Aslef said the Tube and other public transport services were "part of the solution to climate change, not the problem".

Extinction Rebellion should "stick to protesting against those who create the problem - not our industry, members and hard-working commuters", the union added.

Full item here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-50079716
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 17, 2019, 10:03:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2019, 09:06:22 AM
I mean fuck Aslef.

So they're wrong on this issue? 

No, but not sure why you picked their viewpoint out to speak on the issue. They suck/they are probably just jealous that someone beat them to the punch and it wasn't them screwing over commuters. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Interesting graph:

And the article about it:

https://theicct.org/blog/staff/not-every-tonne-of-aviation-CO2

edit:
And the big 'take away' for me from that is, the Swiss have no taste, they're surrounded by France, Italy, Germany and Austria, yet choose to holiday far away.  :D

Valmy

I am impressed you can actually take a domestic flight in Israel.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2019, 02:57:37 PM

I'm surprised one would need to.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on October 18, 2019, 05:58:59 PM
And the big 'take away' for me from that is, the Swiss have no taste, they're surrounded by France, Italy, Germany and Austria, yet choose to holiday far away.  :D

I don't see how you can tell where the Swiss are flying to.

Monoriu

I think the only reason HK isn't on that graph is because we aren't a country.  Otherwise we should be right up there with Singapore. 

Hamilcar

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 19, 2019, 03:51:46 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 18, 2019, 05:58:59 PM

I don't see how you can tell where the Swiss are flying to.

Connecting flights between Geneva and Zurich.

crazy canuck

Eventually even Conservatives will have to admit we need to act

QuoteFor some time now it has been clear that the effects of climate change are appearing faster than scientists anticipated. Now it turns out that there is another form of underestimation as bad or worse than the scientific one: the underestimating by economists of the costs

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/23/opinion/climate-change-costs.html

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 19, 2019, 03:17:50 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2019, 02:57:37 PM

I'm surprised one would need to.

Undoubtedly flights to Eilat, for tourism (the Red Sea!). Diving is a big activity there, and crossing the entire Negev desert to get there would be a pain. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius