Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2019, 04:03:31 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 16, 2019, 03:57:56 AM
I guess just not travelling so far for such a mundane reason is out of the question, right? Let's protest that everyone changes their life dramatically, but not me because my family is divided by the Atlantic so I cannot possibly be inconvenienced.

Are you supporting taxing intercontinental flights taken for the purpose of protesting climate change?

I do not support any policy which has as its sole aim an attempt to reverse the global technological and societal progress of the last twenty years. The way to solve the climate crisis is to move the world closer together and more interconnected, NOT trying to undo globalism.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 16, 2019, 04:01:26 AM
Also, do the climate protesters have some easily definable demand? The whole civil disobedience thing is a good idea, but I think it helps greatly when the goal can be defined more accurately than "let's fix global climate somehow" Like "Brits out of India". That was easy to define
XR is net zero by 2025.

Plus citizens assemblies, which have delivered change in Ireland. But I think the idea that they will lead to radical climate action rather than, say, introducing hanging for paedos strikes me as optimistic.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Yeah, direct democracy has ALMOST gotten us an independent Scotland (will do so next year, still) and has brought Brexit. I wouldn't put much hope in it sorting climate change out.

Sheilbh

Citizens assemblies aren't direct democracy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens%27_Assembly_(Ireland)

Now I don't think they're a panacea, but I do think they're kind of interesting.

And the Irish ones on abortion (the eighth amendment) were apparently quite cathartic too.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

And extinction rebellion has turned to targeting DLR and the Tube again...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Member of XR was pulled from top of train by members of the public furious at Canning Town.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Looks like they got a bit of a kicking to me. Luckily there seemed to be a couple of women who succeeded in calming things down.

garbon

I wonder why they decided it would be good to disrupt commuters in East London.

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, Canning Town first thing in the morning; let's have a couple of middle class twats make the minimum wage workforce's life even worse  :mad:

Get yourself down to Westminster and the City you stupid bastards  :lol:

garbon

And while XR takes on the East, the police spend their third day lounging in Trafalgar Square.

Tamas

Richard Hakluyt

Apparently, "......an internal poll of XR members, shared with the Guardian, showed 72% opposed action on London's underground network under any circumstances."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/17/extinction-rebellion-activists-london-underground

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 17, 2019, 05:22:49 AM
Apparently, "......an internal poll of XR members, shared with the Guardian, showed 72% opposed action on London's underground network under any circumstances."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/17/extinction-rebellion-activists-london-underground

I bet that guy thought he'd be celebrated as a hero. "Yay, I get to be late from my zero-hour contract, to save the planet!"

Syt

Good summary of the debate in Germany:

From left to right:
"No wind turbines in our forest!"
"Stop Coal Now! Save our climate and future!"
"Nuclear Power? No thanks!"

I guess that leaves solar, gas and hydro ...  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 17, 2019, 02:47:29 AM
Yeah, Canning Town first thing in the morning; let's have a couple of middle class twats make the minimum wage workforce's life even worse  :mad:

Get yourself down to Westminster and the City you stupid bastards  :lol:

If people against climate change action wanted a way to discredit the XR movement, this would be a very good way of doing it.   :secret:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"