Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 01, 2019, 07:18:53 AM
I don't know why they would care to look?
They're the worst polluters of the lot, most countries where the march occured actually had their emissions go down while these two increased by much more than what went down elsewhere.
As long as they refuse to move, we are kinda fucked.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

China's moving quite significantly. In part the economy's developing, in part the pollution was really really bad and causing unhappiness/unrest.

India is nowhere near China's level yet. The real risk is if India grows in the same way, using the same methods as China in which case we probably are just fucked. It's that extraordinary fact that half the carbon emitted since the industrial age started has been emitted in the last 30 years. That's not all China's industrialisation, but it is a significant chunk.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

If I were some business heavily interested in inaction on climate change, I would strongly consider funding these morons:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/03/extinction-rebellion-protesters-spray-fake-blood-treasury-london

Such a great idea. They thought since they are for radical change to combat climate change, they should take some paint, contaminate a fire-truck worth of water with it, drive an effin' firetruck to the middle of London, and then just spray their shit all over.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 03, 2019, 06:28:27 AM
If I were some business heavily interested in inaction on climate change, I would strongly consider funding these morons:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/03/extinction-rebellion-protesters-spray-fake-blood-treasury-london

Such a great idea. They thought since they are for radical change to combat climate change, they should take some paint, contaminate a fire-truck worth of water with it, drive an effin' firetruck to the middle of London, and then just spray their shit all over.

An organic liquid containing beetroot is a contaminate?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2019, 06:37:41 AM

Pretty high tech fire truck as well, if it goes on beetroot juice.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 03, 2019, 07:18:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2019, 06:37:41 AM

Pretty high tech fire truck as well, if it goes on beetroot juice.

So really it was the driving a firetruck that got you, not the spraying of paint, which they didn't actually do? ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

The whole nice bundle if idiotic hypocrisy that got me, really.

It's like how they chose a bloody sailboat as their mascot for their previous demos. I mean, how ELSE are you going to drag that into the middle of London than by burning a lot of fossil fuels? And then you proceed to demand people make sacrifices, when you can't even sacrifice your desperate need for attention to reduce emissions. Ridiculous.

The Larch

Please don't omit the slapstick next time,

QuoteFour Extinction Rebellion activists have been arrested after spraying fake blood at the Treasury in Westminster from the top of a fire engine.

(...)

They splattered the main HM Treasury building on Horseguards Road for several seconds until they lost control of the hose, drenching a bystander (me) as 1,800 litres of an organic liquid containing beetroot came out of the vehicle.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Tamas

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

It doesn't really fit this thread but couldn't think a better one. The Guardian goes full The Guardian:

Quote"Live from the royal courts of justice," Extinction Rebellion London wrote. "It has been announced that all protesters arrested during the April rebellion will be prosecuted. We are asking the police and legal system to concentrate on issues such as knife crime, and not non-violent protesters who are trying to save our planet."

For those with ears tuned to hear it, the dogwhistle sounded clear. Stop bothering us non-violent protesters; focus instead on those frightening inner-city neighbourhoods, where black children carry knives.

Advertisement

"It was feeding into a racist narrative," says Guppi Bola, an activist with the Wretched of the Earth, an environmental group that focuses on black, brown and indigenous voices. "When those kinds of things come up, then of course you are not going to feel welcome."

But from the start XR has faced questions over its ability to reach out to diverse communities. Some critics go further, suggesting its tactics, its framing of key issues and a series of communications missteps show a carelessness around issues of race – or even institutional racism.

:bleeding:

Article in its full glory:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/04/extinction-rebellion-race-climate-crisis-inequality