Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

The drinking straws are about the plastic waste fucking shit up, not the same problem.

But we definitely failed to get the international community rallying around this issue. I am not sure what it will take.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2019, 03:33:14 PM
The drinking straws are about the plastic waste fucking shit up, not the same problem.

But we definitely failed to get the international community rallying around this issue. I am not sure what it will take.

Yeah, I appreciate that. It reminds me of the unreformed catholicism of the middle ages; our pollution and climate change mitigation efforts are the 21st century equivalent of papal indulgences  :P

So far at least.

Malthus

It's a 'tragedy of the commons' situation writ large. No nation wants to undertake the costs necessary for the common good, unless they can be sure everyone else is doing the same ... so a few bad actors have the power to wreck efforts for improvement.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 25, 2019, 03:29:15 PM
It is important to remember that emissions are still going up. That, and the time lag between increased CO2 levels and the new equilibrium, mean that things are going to very bad as we move forward.

It is very frustrating because I feel like the solutions are so close. Electric vehicles and renewable energy are just taking off in a big way. If we only had a few more decades...ok a century.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 25, 2019, 03:40:31 PM

It's a 'tragedy of the commons' situation writ large. No nation wants to undertake the costs necessary for the common good, unless they can be sure everyone else is doing the same ... so a few bad actors have the power to wreck efforts for improvement.

Truly.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2019, 03:41:52 PM
It is important to remember that emissions are still going up. That, and the time lag between increased CO2 levels and the new equilibrium, mean that things are going to very bad as we move forward.

It is very frustrating because I feel like the solutions are so close. Electric vehicles and renewable energy are just taking off in a big way. If we only had a few more decades...ok a century.

Yeah, close but off by a few decades, which is why governments need to act. Hence the pressure on progressive politicians.  The ones on the right are a waste of time at this point.

Richard Hakluyt

I have been generally pessimistic, but i do have one optimistic hope about this. It is that the opportunities to make megabucks from green technologies are increasing; that being so it could be like a giant snowball rolling down a hill.

Human greed to the rescue!  Well, just maybe  :hmm:

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2019, 08:59:21 AM
For the don't worry everything will work out in time crowd, the IPCC report on oceans summary.  Read it and please stop suggesting we have time.

Also stop supporting politicians that are ignoring this.  Looking at you BB, since you are going to be the first of that group to vote.

https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/sites/3/2019/09/SROCC_SPM_HeadlineStatements.pdf
And who is realistically promisuing to do something for the environment in this campaign?
Trudeau is saying whatever you want to hear so you'll vote for him.  Can't be trusted.
May reminds of the guy promising to levitate the deficit in the 90s so it will disapear in the atmosphere.
Singh has made clear his disdain for Quebec, even going as far as to promise federal money to Manitoba so they can compete with Quebec on the north american energy market.
Scheer's religious upbringing makes him dislikes gays, transexuals and anything not in the Bible.  But at least his energy corridor for Canada is a sensible idea, as long as it does not include only oil.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2019, 03:25:52 PM
I mean Macron tried to take a firm stand on that topic and had everybody putting on yellow vests. France is over 90% on using low or no emission energy. Kind of a weird target to pick out on that point.

Yup.  Yellow jackets should be her target audience.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2019, 03:47:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2019, 03:25:52 PM
I mean Macron tried to take a firm stand on that topic and had everybody putting on yellow vests. France is over 90% on using low or no emission energy. Kind of a weird target to pick out on that point.

Yup.  Yellow jackets should be her target audience.

They are as well.  When she targets the "grown ups" she is not just referring to the politicians.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2019, 03:44:02 PM

Yeah, close but off by a few decades, which is why governments need to act. Hence the pressure on progressive politicians.  The ones on the right are a waste of time at this point.
It's not like the left had done much except talking about it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 25, 2019, 03:47:04 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2019, 08:59:21 AM
For the don't worry everything will work out in time crowd, the IPCC report on oceans summary.  Read it and please stop suggesting we have time.

Also stop supporting politicians that are ignoring this.  Looking at you BB, since you are going to be the first of that group to vote.

https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/sites/3/2019/09/SROCC_SPM_HeadlineStatements.pdf
And who is realistically promisuing to do something for the environment in this campaign?
Trudeau is saying whatever you want to hear so you'll vote for him.  Can't be trusted.
May reminds of the guy promising to levitate the deficit in the 90s so it will disapear in the atmosphere.
Singh has made clear his disdain for Quebec, even going as far as to promise federal money to Manitoba so they can compete with Quebec on the north american energy market.
Scheer's religious upbringing makes him dislikes gays, transexuals and anything not in the Bible.  But at least his energy corridor for Canada is a sensible idea, as long as it does not include only oil.

You are correct that the Libs and Cons are hopeless on this issue.  It is one of the things that makes voting in this election difficult.  There is only one option in this election if you take the issue seriously.

May is the only one who is talking about doing the things that we need to do and can do.  Even if she accomplishes a fraction of what she promises it will be much better than the Liberals or Conservatives doing exactly what they promised.

https://www.greenparty.ca/en/mission-possible

Quote from: viper37 on September 25, 2019, 03:49:44 PM
It's not like the left had done much except talking about it.

Neither the NDP or Greens have had a chance  ;)

The Liberals held promise, which is one of the reasons I voted for them last time, but they have been a disaster.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 25, 2019, 03:46:35 PM

I have been generally pessimistic, but i do have one optimistic hope about this. It is that the opportunities to make megabucks from green technologies are increasing; that being so it could be like a giant snowball rolling down a hill.

The snowball is rolling. Which is great. Ten years ago I never would have dreamed how far we have come...and yet we are still losing.

But it surely cannot hurt to solve the CO2 thing too late. Better than not solving it at all.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2019, 03:52:51 PM

The snowball is rolling. Which is great. Ten years ago I never would have dreamed how far we have come...and yet we are still losing.

But it surely cannot hurt to solve the CO2 thing too late. Better than not solving it at all.

If we solve it too late, its not going to matter all that much.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2019, 03:52:51 PM

The snowball is rolling.

FFS
Women want me. Men want to be with me.